Thick cut boneless chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
I just seasoned them up with a commercial rub I had sitting there in my prep area.

Into the pot. With trial and error, I found the best time/temp for pork chops is 2 hours at 145°.

1674016153849.png

I just did the sear with a torch. I sear on the grill or over a chimney of hot coals sometimes but I mostly use a torch.

1674016296138.png

Time to dig in! Moist and tender as always.

1674016360522.png

Excellent. I sear most always with the torch too. Life is busy and I’m tired when I get home. makes a great meal.

Reactions: DougE
That’s why I was excited to get the SV for Christmas! I love a good pork chop and you nailed it! Wonderful meal that had to be tasty, looks moist and perfect, wonderful! I was also happy to see you use tongs for SV too😃 great cook!

Excellent. I sear most always with the torch too. Life is busy and I’m tired when I get home. makes a great meal.
Thanks, Eric!
I think maybe in the chimney over coals adds a bit of flavor but, yeah, the torch is usually the most convenient way.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That’s why I was excited to get the SV for Christmas! I love a good pork chop and you nailed it! Wonderful meal that had to be tasty, looks moist and perfect, wonderful! I was also happy to see you use tongs for SV too😃 great cook!
Thanks, Jed! Yeah, I found right from the get go that the tongs work really well for weighting stuff down in the pot.

Nice Job Doug. I still haven't taken the plunge into SV'ing and probably won't, but I see where they're handy.

Point for sure
Chris

Love me some chops in the SV. As part of my monthly subscription box from Home Place Pastures almost always get a pack of chops that are 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick. Like you 145 degrees for 2 hours and then on the grill for a quick sear. Always moist and tender.
Yours looks great.
Jim

2c14qUK.jpg
Boy, I wish I could report the same results.... yesterday I had some ~3/4" boneless chops that I SV'd at 140° for 90 minutes. Mine were seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning. Searing was in garlic butter for 20 seconds in a CI skillet. I usually do a 4-hour brine on chops and chicken breasts, but some snow shoveling got in the way of my timeline. Anyway, mine turned out drier than I like. Not a flop or anything, but a reminder not to skip the brine step.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks great! Agree with the group SV makes outstanding pork chops. Do yourself a favor a try Canadian Steak Seasoning for the rub. chopsaw chopsaw turned me onto it. Dare I say better than steak. I use loin, dry rub, vac seal, dry brine a few days to a week ( thirdeye thirdeye beat me to it), SV it whole, and throw in fridge until serving day. Cut to your desired thickness and sear to heat up. That sear looks fantastic but easier for me to just fire up the gasser. I take it easy on the sear so I don't overcook. No BS these are like the $50 pork chops at fancy steak houses.

20220911_190651_resized_1.jpg

Nice lookin' cook Ed! My old sous vide died last week and the new one arrived here yesterday, pork chops sound like a great way to break it in. Tried searing with the weed torch once, the CI skillet is more convenient for me. RAY

Nice looking chops! Carrots in SV too? Think too many people ate dried out pork chops and stopped eating them. Don't use my SV near enough ! Before SV and maybe my time here...pork chops in a pan with a can of golden mushroom soup and can of water is mighty tasty as well.

Ryan

Nice lookin chops. I love those 1.5" Americas cut boneless chops. I like to weigh them individually and add the amount of cure 1 (.25%), salt (1.5-1.8%) and sugar (optional-1%) for mini back bacons. The traditional chop seasoning works well at 2% vs plain salt and sugar since the first ingredients are salt and sugar and has seasonings like paprika etc. Cold smoked a few hours with Cherry gives a nice color. I may change the 156 ppm cure above at .25% to 120ppm in the Digging Dog Farms calculator someone recommended for a more softer vs firm result. Bone in loin chops are great to but you have to use 80% of what the calculator says for bone that cure, salt and sugar don't penetrate and 60% if curing ribs for bacon on a stick.
20220926_130408.jpg
20221006_193551.jpg

Nice Job Doug. I still haven't taken the plunge into SV'ing and probably won't, but I see where they're handy.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks, Chris, you really should give it a try. I mainly got my cooker for finishing sausages, but I've used it for a lot of other stuff since I have it.
Looks good. I have a sv unit and don't use it.
They aren't good for everything, but I've found quite places where they shine. Chops being one of them. Dust that sucker off and play around some with it.
Love me some chops in the SV. As part of my monthly subscription box from Home Place Pastures almost always get a pack of chops that are 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick. Like you 145 degrees for 2 hours and then on the grill for a quick sear. Always moist and tender.
Yours looks great.
Jim
Thanks, Jim.
look very delicious!! torch does a great job with the sear!
Thanks,tbern
View attachment 655047
Boy, I wish I could report the same results.... yesterday I had some ~3/4" boneless chops that I SV'd at 140° for 90 minutes. Mine were seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning. Searing was in garlic butter for 20 seconds in a CI skillet. I usually do a 4-hour brine on chops and chicken breasts, but some snow shoveling got in the way of my timeline. Anyway, mine turned out drier than I like. Not a flop or anything, but a reminder not to skip the brine step.
I usually just season them up, vac seal and into the pot with good results.
Only way we do them now, usually 3-4 hours from frozen then some form of a sear.
Same here. I'll buy more than I'm going to cook, season, vac seal, and freeze. That way I can just pull a frozen pack out and cook. I use the same temp for frozen but add an hour.
Looks great! Agree with the group SV makes outstanding pork chops. Do yourself a favor a try Canadian Steak Seasoning for the rub. chopsaw chopsaw turned me onto it. Dare I say better than steak. I use loin, dry rub, vac seal, dry brine a few days to a week ( thirdeye thirdeye beat me to it), SV it whole, and throw in fridge until serving day. Cut to your desired thickness and sear to heat up. That sear looks fantastic but easier for me to just fire up the gasser. I take it easy on the sear so I don't overcook. No BS these are like the $50 pork chops at fancy steak houses.

View attachment 655048
I've done Montreal steak, kicking chicken, Rubs similar to Jeff's Texas, salt and pepper. They all come out fantastic, and I'm always up for a different seasoning to try.
Nice looking chops! Carrots in SV too? Think too many people ate dried out pork chops and stopped eating them. Don't use my SV near enough ! Before SV and maybe my time here...pork chops in a pan with a can of golden mushroom soup and can of water is mighty tasty as well.

Ryan
Thanks, Ryan. Absolutely, the carrots were cooked in SV as well. It's the only way I cook carrots anymore (unless they're in the crockpot or dutch oven along with a roast).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky