They’re Back!!! (After 17 Years)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
They’re Back!!! (After 17 Years)

It doesn’t seem like that long ago, but 17 years ago Locusts were all over My House, just before they left us.
The noise they make, by the Thousands is nearly unbearable. It’s actually almost the same “Tinnitus” noise I hear in my ears "24/7/365"
Day & Night, only these are 1000 Times as loud.

Mrs Bear took some pretty good Pics, so I’m posting them for anybody who doesn’t get to see these things.

This is the first time we noticed the actual holes they came from when leaving the Ground, to visit us.

Note: These are actually "Cicadas", but by Habit, we always called them Locusts. The real Locust, we always called "Flying Grasshoppers".

Bear

Here you can see the Holes from whence they came from beneath the Earth's Surface. All those dark dots are holes:
unnamed.jpg

All those Brown spots are the empty shells they leave behind:
unnamed-1.jpg

Here's a Close-up of one of the Cute Little Guys:
unnamed-2.jpg

A wider View:
On Top A Full Grown Locust.
On Left a Deserted Locust Shell.
On Right seems to be one in between the change:
unnamed-3.jpg

Last edited:
When I was a boy in Texas we collected locust shells. I think there were more than one species and some were cicadas. We have only a few species in Wyoming, I think I have some imitations in my fly fishing box.

Haven't seen any here yet , but last time they hatched the yard looked like it was strafed by an A-10 warthog .

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
I read about the 17 yr hatching but we haven't seen any around here. We get a variation every year and find their empty casings everywhere.
Birds love them.

Oh man I don’t miss those. Growing up in Ohio we would get them towards the end of summer. That’s how I knew school was about to start. That noise is annoying

Hated them way back in NJ years ago, and going to be hating them this year. They haven't hit us in Ga yet, but's it's coming. North Ga is getting them now I think, so it's coming soon. I've got ringing in 1 ear at a time, so maybe their noise will balance things out for me, lol.

Haven't seen any here yet bear but I'm sure it won't be much longer now that your seeing them, really not looking forward to it.

This year is cicadas. Thankfully, they aren't nearly as destructive as locusts. Just started hearing them the other night myself.

[They are most definitely edible]

Keep them in PA John. We don't want them here.

Chris

Cool pics! I know they are loud as heck here.
Jim

Thanks Jim!!
I would think anybody close to going Nuts, can be taken over the top by the noise.

Bear

When I was a boy in Texas we collected locust shells. I think there were more than one species and some were cicadas. We have only a few species in Wyoming, I think I have some imitations in my fly fishing box.

Yup---We used to collect them too. I also collected a few Crayfish shells, after I had them in my aquarium for awhile, and they shed their shells. Then they turned from "Green/Brown" to "Orange".
I also used to have a Bass Plug that looked like a Cicada. It was an old one , made of wood, with metal wings. It was antique---Don't know what happened to it.

Bear

I dont miss those at all.

Thank You Rick!!
I knew you could do without them!!

Looks like a Cicada to me. Yes they are very loud.

I fixed that. I'm used to a lifetime of "Wrongly" calling them "Locusts".
The actual Locusts look like Flying Grasshoppers we have around here all the time.
I use them for Bait.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky