They’re Back!!! (After 17 Years)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm guessing that if you're seeing them now, it won't be long before they make their appearence here.

They are loud as hell here right now! They make great bait for fishing!

No doubt Bear Jr will be trying one on a hook, if he gets the chance.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Haven't seen any here yet , but last time they hatched the yard looked like it was strafed by an A-10 warthog .

They'll be there real soon, Rich.
Living here in the middle of a Woods, makes it real easy to notice them.

Bear

Too far north Bear. Tornados and blizzards sure but no stupid ground bugs. Then again our unofficial state bird is the mosquito.

Slap some on the grill and let us know how they taste!

LOL---I know some people eat them, but I don't happen to be one of them.

Bear

I read about the 17 yr hatching but we haven't seen any around here. We get a variation every year and find their empty casings everywhere.
Birds love them.

They're fun to shoot with a BB Gun, and much easier to hit than a Carpenter Bee hovering off the peak of the house.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

LOL---I know some people eat them, but I don't happen to be one of them.

Bear

They're fun to shoot with a BB Gun, and much easier to hit than a Carpenter Bee hovering off the peak of the house.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
Those carpenter bees are always buzzing my camaras in PA. Heading up there this weekend, not sure if the cicadas are out over there yet. Although with all the stone in the ground up there it would be tough to dig many holes.

When I was a boy in Texas we collected locust shells. I think there were more than one species and some were cicadas. We have only a few species in Wyoming, I think I have some imitations in my fly fishing box.

I grew up in northern Illinois and never saw a cicada. I saw lots of "flying grasshoppers", but never a cicada. Since moving to Texas years ago, it seems like they're around every year; I guess they're a different species than the ones currently emerging back East.

My daughter used to collect the shells too. She used to find them stuck to trees, bricks on the house, fences, etc. They always make a heck of a racket, but we seldom saw one alive up close.

One thing I've heard here in Texas is that cicadas are a favorite snack of copperhead snakes.

Slap some on the grill and let us know how they taste!

I'm waiting for someone to post a recipe and tell us how tasty they are. I swear I'd never eat one, but I've heard tell they're tasty fried in butter!

I grew up in northern Illinois and never saw a cicada. I saw lots of "flying grasshoppers", but never a cicada. Since moving to Texas years ago, it seems like they're around every year; I guess they're a different species than the ones currently emerging back East.

My daughter used to collect the shells too. She used to find them stuck to trees, bricks on the house, fences, etc. They always make a heck of a racket, but we seldom saw one alive up close.

One thing I've heard here in Texas is that cicadas are a favorite snack of copperhead snakes.

I'm waiting for someone to post a recipe and tell us how tasty they are. I swear I'd never eat one, but I've heard tell they're tasty fried in butter!
An early article I read about the 17 year return said they are edible and it said they taste like seafood. I'm not willing to be the taste tester on this one.

Reactions: SmokyMose
If they're hungry enough human beings can eat just about anything. I'm not that hungry LOL!
However, they say it was a brave man who first ate an Oyster....

Those carpenter bees are always buzzing my camaras in PA. Heading up there this weekend, not sure if the cicadas are out over there yet. Although with all the stone in the ground up there it would be tough to dig many holes.

For those Carpenter Bees, a few of these are what you need.
Real easy to make, with my Step by Step Below:
Upgraded Carpenter Bee Traps

Bear

Oh man I don’t miss those. Growing up in Ohio we would get them towards the end of summer. That’s how I knew school was about to start. That noise is annoying

Absolutely is Annoying!!

Bear

Hated them way back in NJ years ago, and going to be hating them this year. They haven't hit us in Ga yet, but's it's coming. North Ga is getting them now I think, so it's coming soon. I've got ringing in 1 ear at a time, so maybe their noise will balance things out for me, lol.

It's a shame they don't drive our Tinnitus out !!!

Bear

Sure are noisy, I miss them as a background noise.
I grew up with them
Usually when they arrive it signals a fertile season coming, well down here anyway

Here in the Southwest, when we hear the cicadas then we know the monsoon season is about to start.
I can hear them now.
No wait, that's just my tinnitus.
Sorry.

An early article I read about the 17 year return said they are edible and it said they taste like seafood. I'm not willing to be the taste tester on this one.
crustaceans are somewhat similar to insects.. that said, i am not going out of my way to eat one. unless its a mud "bug" (not actually bugs as in insect)

crustaceans are somewhat similar to insects.. that said, i am not going out of my way to eat one. unless its a mud "bug" (not actually bugs as in insect)
I ate what the Aussies called mudbugs in Sydney years ago. I knew they came out of the ocean. As I recall, they were quite tasty. I'm with thirdeye thirdeye though. I'm not willing to be a cicada taste tester!

I am not sure what Aussies refer to as mudbugs, but around here it is a term for these-
aka Crawfish, Crawdads
Crayfish, crawdads, crawfish live in fresh water. The Aussies call them yabbies -- at least they did 30 some years ago when I was there.

Here is an article about Aussie "bugs". They look a bit like a crawdad, but they live in the ocean. More meat on them then the typical crawdad, too.

Reactions: Titch and Hamdrew
Yup that's why I assumed we were talking about different things, or at least different types of cray (there are some saltwater kinds but i have no idea where). no ocean around here but every once in a blue rain I'll see a crawdad.

Our yabbies live in muddy freshwater, those bugs come from saltwater
We do have fresh water Crays, look like Yabbies but much larger, around the one pound mark

Back to Cicada, Not sure who if anyone eats them, but they would be sweet I bet
Their secretion is very sugary, You get covered in it sitting under trees

I've been reading about them starting to hatch, John, but that's it. I've lived through "several" 17 year cycles and have never seen one. Must be they don't come north of the 49. Can't say I'm real sorry about that!!! So do me a favor and tell them just how cold winter is up here in Alberta. :emoji_blush:
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky