ThermoTemp Temperature challenges

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RustyShackleford

Original poster
May 28, 2019
I've had a few issues recently with my ThermoTemp, just wondering if anybody has a solution. For the last several smokes (until my most recent), I couldn't get the temp to hold very low. Even cleaning the interior and the temp probe, it was a dance to keep it at 235-250. If I wasn't exactly right, it would pop to 275+, even though it was set to 225 or 250. With my most recent smoke I had the opposite problem. I cranked it up to 275-300 just to get it to 225. I'm in Houston so it wasn't that cool outside - probably 65?

Is there anything I can do to stabilize the temperature?

Not familiar with your particular unit.. but does it have an inline needle valve ?? If not.. I would start researching one.. That's been one of the most popular fixes for propane smokers... we'll see what others say...

Not familiar with your particular unit.. but does it have an inline needle valve ?? If not.. I would start researching one.. That's been one of the most popular fixes for propane smokers... we'll see what others say...
I would assume it does, but I’m not sure. It uses a thermometer mounted in the center of the box to maintain a temperature set using the external thermostat. When the box reaches the dialed in temp, it reduces the gas flow to maintain box temp.

The idea is really cool - the benefits of electric without electricity. The downside is that it is built Masterbuilt so I get the quality that comes with it.

Most expansion type thermostat controlled units have swings of +/-30 degrees. So setting it to 250 and seeing a spike to 275 is normal. That's true on most pellet smokers too.
Holding it at 300 to get 225-250 is another matter altogether. These units aren't what you'd call, "calibrated". I've seen guys tape on their own temp labels onto knobs because there was an offset. Has this always been the case or is this a recent development?

What are you using to measure the temp? Do you use the water pan filled with either water or sand?
Mine stays within 5 degrees of set temp according to my Inkbird.

Most expansion type thermostat controlled units have swings of +/-30 degrees. So setting it to 250 and seeing a spike to 275 is normal. That's true on most pellet smokers too.
Holding it at 300 to get 225-250 is another matter altogether. These units aren't what you'd call, "calibrated". I've seen guys tape on their own temp labels onto knobs because there was an offset. Has this always been the case or is this a recent development?

This last smoke was the first time that has happened. I'm hoping it was a one off - I've got a pork shoulder I'm going to get going in the next few hours and will report back with how the temp goes on it. It feels like summer has gone on forever, but I don't recall having any issues last winter when the temp dropped to a balmy 40 degrees (that's what happens in Houston).

What are you using to measure the temp? Do you use the water pan filled with either water or sand?
Mine stays within 5 degrees of set temp according to my Inkbird.

I have an Inkbird and one of those cheap oven thermometers. They were both in agreement on the temp being off. For this smoke I used the supplied water pan. Normally for brisket I use nothing and for pork I use a larger disposable aluminum pan filled with apple juice concentrate. I'd love for mine to stay within 5 degrees. When it ran hot I thought maybe I had some creosote buildup in the thermometer, but I can't imagine what would cause it to run cool. Intriguingly, it looked like the smoker was convinced it was at target temp, with the burner dialing itself back to maintenance heat rather pushing gas.

Good luck man! Happy Q'ing.
Looks like it may have been a one-off bad day. It wasn’t perfect but close enough - thermostat set to ~250 and temp held around 265.

On the other hand I also learned that while I can put a pan of lightly thinned apple juice concentrate under a shoulder (until 135-145 and then move the shoulder into the pan) and get great flavor, the same cannot be said for lightly thinned orange juice. Not inedible, but not great.

Glad to hear it! Even inanimate objects have their bad days.
Can't say that I've ever tried the OJ, but good to know. I guess the acid is too much. Was it like a toothpaste/OJ thing?
Not toothpaste. If it had been that bad, I’d have tossed it. This was just disappointing. You could tell there was orange juice involved, but instead of a bright citrus, it was dull. I’d almost call it bitter - I added some soy sauce and it kind of reminded me getting orange chicken and eating a piece of peel.

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky