Leaking Smoker Lid and Temperature Variances

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
I noticed my new smoker leaks smoke around the cooking chamber lid - most is coming out sling the edge by the firebox. I am not to upset about this (unless I need to be), but I am wondering if that affects the temperature variance across the grate?

Reactions: JLeonard
This is the Brazos in your signature right? Unless its a huge leak i wouldnt worry too much about it. Sometimes creosote will build up there and self seal.

Jim

My OKJ offset and Camp Chef pellet both leak a little around the lids. I haven't really seen it as a problem. Maybe go through a little less fuel if they were sealed better, but fine cook wise.

Im guessing the leak towards the firebox end will likely not seal itself with time, but it isn’t horrible. I was just wondering if leaks affected temperature balance any.

Im guessing the leak towards the firebox end will likely not seal itself with time, but it isn’t horrible. I was just wondering if leaks affected temperature balance any.
It shouldn't by much if any. You have heat going out, not cold air entering the chamber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky