??? Thermal Mass

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

E's Smokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
After a couple cooks on my OK Joe Highland, I realize that fire management is no joke. If I line the fire box & the cook chamber with fire brick will I be able to maintain the heat without using so much charcoal , or maybe just the fire box. I do use a charcoal basket & I've turned the grate side ways to lift the basket up , which has worked great, but when the coals start to burn down it takes a while to get the temp back up, once the temp gets back up it stays consistent for about an hour & a half,
So basically do I need to line both the CC & the fire box or just the fire box, my smoker has a baffle & tuning plates
Thanks for all opinions

E

Yup---Thermal Mass is good stuff in many ways.
That's what makes my Log House easy to heat without insulation in the walls.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky