The Wife Made It w/Total Knee Replacement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
What a long day. The wife had a total knee replacement today made it through fine. Now comes the rough part; rehab.
Needless to say I didn't smoke anything. Me and the 13 year old had left over smoked meatloaf though.
--ray--
(0||||0)

Good news Ray.

I to am really glad that the wife has made it out of surgery and all is okey dukey. Now for the fun part next the evil wicked phyical theorpist.

Glad to hear all is well. You are right, now comes the tough part the rehab, but possibly the most important part. Best of luck to her.

Glad to hear everything went ok. Seems like a lot of that going around lately. I understand it's a whole lot different operation than it was 10 or 12 years ago. Tell her we're rooting for her.

Get her some smoked goodness to relieve the pain.
icon_smile.gif

The easy part is over now ( surgery ) the rehab sucks . Had 2 surgerys on one knee ( put in used parts ) stronger now than the other good knee ! " DO YOUR EXCERISES "
icon_neutral.gif

like others said rehab sucks but the more she uses it the better of she will be. my mom had double replacements at the same time........man that woman has a big set of..........

Glad to hear all went well Ray, My wife is getting one in March, so I'll be in the same boat with ya.

Great she's done with the surgery, that anesthetic is dangerous stuff! Tell her to take two brisket sandwiches and a ring of polish sausage and call us in the morning, we'll prescribe some ABT's to help her out too!

Here's hoping for a speedy and painless recovery.

Hey Ray,

We're pulling for her. That is a tough surgery, but it makes such a difference in a person's life. My mother had two of them (done one at a time)...and now her mobility has improved so much that she truly is a new person. I guess she ruined her knees by being on her feet for a career worth of nursing...taking care of other people is hard work!

As an engineer, I will say the surgery is amazing...they said that by the time they got her stapled back together, if she could have stood the pain involved, that she could have gotten up from the operating table and walked to her room...that is pretty incredible.

Make sure to really support and encourage your wife during rehab...it is that important. Your wife will be amazed at the difference that this makes in her life.

Ray -- I feel your, well her pain. I had my right knee replaced in September. It hurt -- but that's what the pain meds are for. The doc, nurses and PT really stressed taking the meds BEFORE the pain revs up. I am glad I listened, I would have tended to tough it out, be a man and suck it up. Instead I was taking those happy little pills every 3-4 hours. And I can honestly say the pain was not that bad.

On that note -- take the meds about 30-45 minutes before PT -- it helps, cuz that tends to hurt if you do it right.

Like others have said -- she needs to do the exercises. The first two weeks are the most critical to keep scar tissue from forming and to regain flex. That's her job for a bit. I had my surgery at 10:30 on a Wednesday. They had me out of the bed and in a chair by 3:0 that afternoon, and in PT Thursday morning. I was home Friday evening. Took 3 weeks and a day off from work.

It was such a success I am not hesitating to have the other done. I get my left knee replaced March 3rd.

It will make a big difference for her. Just gotta get through this rough phase.

Good luck to her and you. I'll be thinking of you two.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky