The wife “smashed” Father’s Day with some “coal iron” happiness!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That knife looks fantastic!
It is way over my head, but I’m sure you will show us your creations with your new press!
Al

I love tools and that is a beauty! Love to see more of your work!

Nice set up! Great thinking with the power pack versus hand pump. We have both at work. A 12. And 24 ton job for the "light"work. Pulling bearings from a 4"shaft is a breeze with them! And the noise when they break loose is music to my ears!
The power pack is a must, hand pump would not be fast enough. Also it being 120v is sweet cause I can use it at any plug vs being limited to the 2 -220 I have.
Nice civil looking forward to seeing your first project.

Chris
Thanks Chris! Spent most of the days with the kids and wife cleaning up the shop. I need to finish making my cart for it and it will be smashing steel!
Very Nice!!
She's a Keeper!!

Bear
Thanks Bear! We are in the same page!!!
So cool, when are we going to see you on "Forged with Fire"
Thanks...and LOL....my son and me did train under a FWF contestant so does that count?......funny thing is he said the filmed like 4 hours of interview with him and used bits and pieces with editing to tell a story that didn’t even come close to the actual interview......
Make a set of steak knives out of a Rec Tec 1250 .
He'll walk off the show , lol .
!!!! I can see it now..... me.... “you guys have crossed the line, I’m out of here!” LOL.

That knife looks fantastic!
It is way over my head, but I’m sure you will show us your creations with your new press!
Al
Thanks Al! In a way it’s a lot like cooking..... there are some set rules but one can customize to their “taste”.

However, it is fully involved metal and woodworking in one piece though. Tools used in making one knife include: band saw, welder, angle grinder, 2 belt grinders (platen, 6 inch wheel, 2 inch wheel, and 2-3 smaller wheels), forge, hammers, anvil, 3 vices, drill press, 3 types of clamps, disc sander, 2 buffers, controlled toaster oven, kydex press, 2 more types of clamps. 2 ton arbor press, Dremel, 6 types of files, 4 types of sanding sticks, 2 types of diamond stones, 2 shop vacs...and now the press and soon to be a PID ceramic heat treat oven........ FYI keeping all this organized really helps with my OCD! LOL...
I love tools and that is a beauty! Love to see more of your work!
Many thanks OS! I will post up a couple past favs for ya....
I vote for a knife forum on SMF just for civilsmoker to post up his creations!!! LOL!!
LOL, oh man I would have to step up my production to keep it interesting!
Nice press!

Impressive blade!

Cheers! 🍻
Thanks TH!
WOW!!! Really nice gift. That's going to make your forging sooooooo much easier. Looking forward to seeing some as you make them.
Gary
Thanks Gary! Yes it blew me away.... I still have a hard time believing it’s in the garage.... I’m going to make a Damascus hunter for another scholarship raffle this fall. Finger crossed!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Concept knife....AEB-L Stainless
67FBF740-4A74-44D0-8CBB-8054926D8168.jpeg

1084- mirror polish & birds eye maple.
9FD28813-4743-4A94-B0F6-706430D1DC3F.jpeg

15n20 & walnut skinner
B95D8E20-A75B-458F-865D-F729C7B73F8F.jpeg

Scholarship knife, 440 stainless
2A852229-52D8-4D1F-B555-195B7A66FC0D.jpeg

Personal kitchen utility 15n20 & mesquite
1579B9D9-DFD7-4389-99DE-9BC2A4B7716E.jpeg

I’m stalled on these.... mirror polished hybrid chef AEB-L. This will be a mater slicer...it’s not shiny enough for me so going to do a little more fine tuning...
BBD5A40E-24C0-4206-A691-C895F3A6AFF2.jpeg

15n20 kitchen set....these will be etched gray blades....
29A9A1E4-7CC6-43E2-A4FE-CECFEAFD32F7.jpeg

Like Keith ( indaswamp indaswamp ) said above

"WOW"
Those are beautiful, very nice work. And your new hammer is going to come in very handy , and make the process a lot easier, especially on your arms and shoulders.

You must make your own sheath's also. And your handle choices are great also.

David

WOW! Impressive!!

What do you charge for custom knives?
Thanks Keith, I will send you a PM.
Like Keith ( indaswamp indaswamp ) said above

"WOW"
Those are beautiful, very nice work. And your new hammer is going to come in very handy , and make the process a lot easier, especially on your arms and shoulders.

You must make your own sheath's also. And your handle choices are great also.

David
Thanks David! I do make the sheath’s myself. I would do leather but sourcing materials is harder. I’ve done leather work and may do some leather in the future...

Yes I’m excited to do more patterned steel as it is a one of a kind piece. Just very rewarding to do!
Beautiful blades civilsmoker civilsmoker !

You are an artist!

Do you make the handles as well or buy blanks and custom?
Thanks TH! I buy the Micarta sheets but I buy, dry, and stabilize (if needed) the wood my self. I like walnut, maple burl, mesquite, but have some really cool stuff, palm, mango, spalted timarind, elk antler, Bethlehem olive, cocobolo, and a bunch others (too many to remember)....I mainly look for woods with character. Some take a year of more to dry so I have a whole collection in the shop hanging out......

Awesome work . No exotics , but I have all kinds of hardwood off fall that would make nice handles . I save everything .

Awesome work . No exotics , but I have all kinds of hardwood off fall that would make nice handles . I save everything .
Thanks chop! I like to do bookend handles whenever possible so 1 x 1.7 x 5.5 blocks are prefect with waste from stabilization and cutting. Maybe we should work a trade?
Beautiful blades and awesome talent!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, since I mainly do paperwork these days at work I have to use my engineering mind some how!! Plus I get to play with cool tools!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky