Cooking & Smashing Steel….. ah such a rewarding feeling!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In all my excitement I forgot to post how I do these hard side wood sheaths…….

This one is from a scrap hickory floor plank that is ripped down and sanded dimensionally…..

Next I use the mini mill to make a slot in each 1/2
AD697738-CEAE-4CA6-88AA-3660E7646E86.jpeg

The mini mill makes easy work of this…… as well as drilling for the pins….
73CA95CC-8E10-4CCF-8063-71956F8FCF62.jpeg

Once fit I then go back to the mill to mill pockets for the strap….
83F9EB9E-16A6-4FE7-BB6F-1C1F1F8B4444.jpeg

Bingo,
0CE29D9D-41A6-464F-87ED-B9BE1343AEB2.jpeg

After a slight grind to make the screw studs thinner it is epoxied in….
A242D918-9814-45AF-A22B-D2EE39B97351.jpeg

Once the epoxy is cured I just run it through the mini mill again to clean up the surface…..

Then the 1/2s are epoxied together…..
09A62757-29C6-492B-AFD1-C2DA1837EC2D.jpeg

I have been finishing these after but I like them so much I’m going to start stabilizing some stock for matching handles and sheaths…..

Last edited:
Just a gorgeous looking knife and and I love the look of the wood in the handle. I bet it fits and holds well when gripped.
Patience and skill shows right there

David
Much appreciated David! Yea the block of claro walnut that came from stabilized up really nice… it becomes part of your hand when you grab it. The Local Highway Organization that holds the conference has been promoting it for the auction at each of the regional meetings so hopefully it’s will be an “earner” for the scholarship fund! Over 450 attendees….commissioners, Road Forman, supers, and staff will be there. Many many hardworking and well deserving public servants! They have raised (donated personally) almost 100k since it strated a few years ago, they gave out 23 scholarships last year!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Just stunning work!! I wish I had those kind of skills for sure.
Thanks jcam! I've only been making knives for about 4 years now, but I have been doing metal fabrication and woodworking on the side for over 40 years so that has helped a bunch. In high school, I took "animal science" instead of biology and I spent 3 hours a day in the metal shop fabricating utility trailers and horse feeders for "school donors"..... my test (finals) was if the donors would take what I fab'd up.....LOL....

Reactions: jcam222
The auction was held tonight and I’m both excited and humbled to report the final bid was $2,000.00 to a huge cheer from the some 450 attendees…. the auctioneer noted this knife funded two scholarships…. Just a couple final “encore” pics!!
691DB77A-55AD-4A49-AD0C-3002655A68AB.jpeg

B40A405A-C6A0-4B3C-A86F-CF2925DE39E8.jpeg

Thanks for following this build!

Very nice. That was a lot of work to you to pass it off to a great cause.
Thanks 90! Since the organization that runs this is already funded for their management that they do for the highway districts, 100% of these funds are awarded to the students so the funds go a long way!
Well done, and again another good deed by a member of this site.

David
Much appreciated David! I happened to present at one of the regional meetings a few months back and one of the receiving students was there and just seeing the excitement he had about getting some financial help was very motivating to be apart of it!

Thanks for including us on your journey Civil. That is one beautiful knife, and the cause makes it that much better.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: civilsmoker
That there makes it even more of a personal helping hand. Good on you and all the folks at the organization that holds this.

David
Many thanks David!
Thanks for including us on your journey Civil. That is one beautiful knife, and the cause makes it that much better.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks and you are welcome Chris! It was a journey for sure but the destination was worth while for sure!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky