The wife “smashed” Father’s Day with some “coal iron” happiness!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So the wife went way out of the box for Fathers Day this year......this is what was delivered this AM.....

Coal Iron Works 12 ton mini press!
56B07CAB-BFFA-4F0A-A0FA-9BC7A0F30B30.jpeg

I
5B11BECA-B4FE-42C0-83E5-650BF2A9882F.jpeg

Fired it up already and this thing is just cooooooolllllll!!!!!!!!!

She got flat dies, drawing, square, & a blank set. This is going to totally change up the Damascus that I can make! Also no more 6 hour burning propane for one San mai knife.....I’m so looking forward to doing canister Damascus! Like I said the wife smashed it!

Last edited:
Time for me to move. I wanna be your neighbor. You have some of the coolest toys on the block and I wanna come out and play :emoji_laughing:

Robert
I have a buddy that is a machinist. Whenever I need something done, I bring it over to the shop at the start of the day 7am sharp, along with 10# of homemade boudin warmed up ready to eat. The boudin is for the office manager and the guys in the shop...my parts are usually ready end of the day. Sometimes I'll just stop by and drop off boudin just to keep them happy!! LOL!!

Time for me to move. I wanna be your neighbor. You have some of the coolest toys on the block and I wanna come out and play :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Come on by! We have big boy toys for sure! This thing runs on 110 and can roll around the shop on a cart and has 9000 lbs/ sq inch push with the flat dies about 20k/sqin on the drawing dies!
Looks cool! No idea how to use it tho.
Thanks sandy! Look up coal iron works 12 ton mini press.....there are many vids!
That will DEFINITELY force any issue you have! LOL!!!
You got that right! It’s crazy fast so will solve the issues quick!

Last edited:
I have a buddy that is a machinist. Whenever I need something done, I bring it over to the shop at the start of the day 7am sharp, along with 10# of homemade boudin warmed up ready to eat. The boudin is for the office manager and the guys in the shop...my parts are usually ready end of the day. Sometimes I'll just stop by and drop off boudin just to keep them happy!! LOL!!
Bingo!......what time should I expect to see you......lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
Cool looking Machine. Totally out of my realm too, but sounds like top of the line. Congrats!

You must have been doing an awesome job on your honey do list! That will be sweet and way quieter than a trip hammer!

Ryan

Cool looking Machine. Totally out of my realm too, but sounds like top of the line. Congrats!
Thanks MJB! It’s a recently new approach to presses for knifes. It has a smaller dies area for smaller production it’s also very portable vs that massive pressed of old.
That is some heavy duty Tortilla press,

Got to love a wife that actually buys you real cool toys. Can't wait to see some cool Damascus Blades

David
Oh man I might just have to make a tortilla dia.....lol. I’m with you one some blades!
You must have been doing an awesome job on your honey do list! That will be sweet and way quieter than a trip hammer!

Ryan
You have no idea Ryan...... the last few months of honey do’s makes me want to go back to picken rock out of the wheat field with a full hight side grain truck for a vacation!!! LOL.
Thanks chop!
Sweet gift! Post up some pics when you smash some out
Thanks ringer and will do! I’ve posted this one before but is a fav one! This was Popeye arm version......
6FD99956-B704-4593-85A1-D0937387D1DA.jpeg

So instead of a 6 hour arm fest, it will be a 20 - 30 min breeze.......

So the wife went way out of the box for Fathers Day this year......this is what was delivered this AM.....

Coal Iron Works 12 ton mini press!
View attachment 634967
IView attachment 634968
Fired it up already and this thing is just cooooooolllllll!!!!!!!!!

She got flat dies, drawing, square, & a blank set. This is going to totally change up the Damascus that I can make! Also no more 6 hour burning propane for one San mai knife.....I’m so looking forward to doing canister Damascus! Like I said the wife smashed it!
That’s awesome! What a great wife!
What you do is out of my league, so jealous and happy for you! Congratulations!

Love the wave. very nice work.

David
Thanks David!

That’s awesome! What a great wife!
What you do is out of my league, so jealous and happy for you! Congratulations!
Many thanks and appreciation yankee! The wife is a keeper for sure! Home run!

I grew up in a very small town and we had to do everything ourselves. I always loved doing both metal and wood work....in high school I spent 1/2 my junior and senior years building horse feeders and trailers for farmers as “animal science” to fill my biology and science credits.... it’s amazing how flexible a school is when you aid in getting donations to the programs.....

Nice set up! Great thinking with the power pack versus hand pump. We have both at work. A 12. And 24 ton job for the "light"work. Pulling bearings from a 4"shaft is a breeze with them! And the noise when they break loose is music to my ears!

Nice civil looking forward to seeing your first project.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky