The summer stash.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Highs were in the 40's, the wind was a little brisk, but it was the only day in the forseeable future that doesn't have rain or snow in the forcast. So I broke out my stash of Cabot cheese and set out to improve upon it.

The planning phase: two Cabot sharp yellow cheddars, 9 Cabot sharp white cheddars, 4 hot habanero, 5 horseradish, and 2 blocks of store brand swiss that I'll split into 4 blocks.
DSC00466.JPG

The lineup for todays game.
DSC00467.JPG

Charcoal ring removed from the WSM for unrestricted air flow.
DSC00468.JPG

Using apple-dust from Todd. Still trying to get the times correct.
DSC00469.JPG

Folks we have smoke. I burned a little to much trying to get it going in the wind.
DSC00470.JPG

Cheese is on.
DSC00471.JPG

Taken off after 3hrs of smoke. Not much color. This is the cheese sitting on a cooling rack loosely covered ready for it's overnight in the fridge before vacuum sealing.
DSC00477.JPG

The wife and I tried a peice of the sharp cheddar this morning and both agreed that it needs more time in the smoker. It was actually good the next day just needed a little more time. So on it will go for round two weather permitting. The apple dust burns really clean and produced a lighter smoke flavor. Next tiime I will let it go 5 or 6 hrs.

Thanks for looking at my process.

Chris

I think color looks good. You might be onto something . Smoke in stages .

I think color looks good. You might be onto something . Smoke in stages .
It did take on some color, but not enough for my liking. Smoking cheese in stages is something I've done a few times. Usually when the weather changes or it gets to hot out. I've got it in the WSM as I type so it shouldn't be to much longer.
Thanks for looking.
Chris

Well that ought to last you a good while!
Al

Thanks Al, I'm hoping they take us through the warmer months(if we ever get warmer months).

Chris

Cheese looks great man! The smoked Hot Habanero I did is way better than anything you can buy in the stores I love it.

I see you enjoyed some cold PBR in the process points for sure!

Cheese looks great man! The smoked Hot Habanero I did is way better than anything you can buy in the stores I love it.

I see you enjoyed some cold PBR in the process points for sure!

Thanks Smokin, I agree the habanero is one of my favorites. I used to do pepper jack not any more. Thanks for the like.

Chris

I am going to have to try that out here soon! Just need to find a decent vacuum sealer so I can save some over the hot summers.

Vacuum sealers are a must. With just the wife and I now our freezer stays stock with meat and the fridge with cheese.

Chris

Reactions: ksblazer
Looks good Chris! I did a high dollar (7 dollars for 8oz) of horseradish cheddar about a month ago, I am curious of its taste. Used a combination of apple and cherry pellets in the tube for 3 hours. I’m going to wait till Thanksgiving to try it.......I’ll try.

Very nice!! Those will be tasty. I make my own cheeses and have a Peppercorn Gouda I’m going to slice up and smoke. I bought an A-Maze-N tube to smoke using pellets. The last time I smoked cheese the smoker was too hot. I hope your cheeses are nice and Smokey!!

Mike

Looks good Chris! I did a high dollar (7 dollars for 8oz) of horseradish cheddar about a month ago, I am curious of its taste. Used a combination of apple and cherry pellets in the tube for 3 hours. I’m going to wait till Thanksgiving to try it.......I’ll try.

Yankee, sorry I never saw this response. I must have missed the alert. I'm sure that horseradish you smoked is going to be great. I don't think I could let it sit eight months w/o trying it. Thanks for the like.

Very nice!! Those will be tasty. I make my own cheeses and have a Peppercorn Gouda I’m going to slice up and smoke. I bought an A-Maze-N tube to smoke using pellets. The last time I smoked cheese the smoker was too hot. I hope your cheeses are nice and Smokey!!

Mike

Mike again sorry about the delayed response. I must be getting old. Making your own cheese sounds impressive. Peppercorn gouda sounds great. I'm starting to like dust better then pellets. I smoked this cheese in two intervals because I didn't get the color I was looking for on the first go round. I have to say the cheese was eatable the next day. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I'll be waiting.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky