The seven deadly Spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reviving a old post here.
I'm a newbie here and I built my own stick burner and I now know what they mean when people say "they never should have started smoking"
I was a church fund raising recently and a women had some meat rolls similar to egg rolls. They had a distinct flavor. She said it was "Baharat" and to get it at a middle eastern market. I stopped into a middle eastern market and asked about it they gave a package of "Seven Spices" the ingredients are:black pepper, cumin,coriander,cloves,nutmeg,cinnamon and cardamom"
Anyone ever ran across this? The women said to use it sparingly.

Copied!! Thank You!
I want to try making hot dogs next and most recipes call for mace. I guess I won't use 2 tablespoons now.... :emoji_laughing:

Reviving a old post here.
I'm a newbie here and I built my own stick burner and I now know what they mean when people say "they never should have started smoking"
I was a church fund raising recently and a women had some meat rolls similar to egg rolls. They had a distinct flavor. She said it was "Baharat" and to get it at a middle eastern market. I stopped into a middle eastern market and asked about it they gave a package of "Seven Spices" the ingredients are:black pepper, cumin,coriander,cloves,nutmeg,cinnamon and cardamom"
Anyone ever ran across this? The women said to use it sparingly.

Compressor59,

Baharat is the loose Arabic term for "spice(s)". I use it frequently and always make my own blend. It's used in many ways such as in rubs and marinades, a core ingredient in many dishes, or as a seasoning condiment. Around a week ago I used baharat to make a spiced ground lamb mixture that I then incorporated with homemade hummus.

The ingredient list you posted is correct with one notable exception, the lack of paprika. Paprika is almost always the primary ingredient in the blend, or at very least, co-equal with freshly ground black pepper.

Regional variations might include dried and ground mint, oregano, allspice, hot pepper, etc., but the core recipe rarely varies.

Sounds like baharat is similar to spice terms from other cultures like curry, garam masala, or zatar. They don't exactly mean "spice(s)," but they also are a very loose term for a blend that is extremely pungent, best used in small amounts, and never tasting quite the same if purchased from different sources.

dsl1,
I was surprised myself that there was not paprika in it and when I asked for Baharat I gathered that it was a generic term for spice. I used it in a meat roll up for tomorrow and I'm on a learning curve to determine how much to use so I don't over power the meat.

Great post to revive.
Thanks Comp...59 for finding it.
Compressor59,
Baharat is the loose Arabic term for "spice(s)". I use it frequently and always make my own blend. ....
Many cultures have a "base blend" of spices as johnmeyer highlighted. Asian 5 spice and Lebanese 7 spice are other bases as dry powder. Then we get into the curry pastes such as Thai (my favorite)

Paprika is a WTF. Some add it , but where are you starting?
I have 4 varieties in my cupboard. American (no flavor, but adds color), Hungarian (good flavor), Smoked (good flavor with a great nose) and Spanish (better flavor).
I need to get southern Mediterranean Paprika. I hear that had a kick of heat and better flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky