THE PAPER PLATE METHOD FOR VACUUM SEALING

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
We used to roll the edge of the bag over to try to keep it clean, but it always seemed to distort the end of the bag. And half the time it still got some juice or meat on it anyway. I don't know how we came up with this method, but it works for everything as long as it will fit on a paper plate. Here's how we do it.
First spray some Pam on the plate so the meat slides off easily.

.5.JPG

Then put whatever your going to seal on the plate.

1.JPG

Then roll up the sides & slide the plate into the bag.

2.JPG

Slide it all the way to the bottom.

3.JPG

4.JPG

Then pull the paper plate out, letting the meat slide off and stay in the bottom of the bag.

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

As you can see the edge of the bag is still nice & clean & ready to seal.

8.JPG
9.JPG

This will work with liquids too, like Au Jus, or stock. Just freeze it in a container first, then while frozen use the paper plate method to transfer it to a vacuum bag.
Hope this is helpful to all of you!
Al

Thanks for the tip Al. Looks like it will come in handy.

Chris

Great post Al! I just vac sealed a bunch of stuff and noticed that the bag does get distorted when folding and always had to cut the bags longer in order to fold. This will save me time and money! Points to you sir!

Al, Thanks for a great tip. Very simple but solves a real problem. I don’t have a sealer but use zip lock bags and water displacement scenario for my Sous Vide projects. Have been folding back top to keep closure clean but will be using this tip in the future. Thanks for a great tip.

Weedeater

Good idea Al!

We have a kind of cutting mat that is very thin (comparatively) and I've used it as a sort of shoot/funnel before.
But this might be a way to use up some of the left-over holidaze paper plates.

Great How-to, Al !! Like.

That's what I've been doing since I got my SV last year.
Only difference is I don't have to spray the paper plate, because Mrs Bear gets the plates that have a gloss on the top side.
You really gotta keep that sealing area clean if you want a perfect seal. Even then I usually trim a half inch off the top & give it a second seal.

Bear

Great idea I have been using a 2 liter bottle I cut the top and bottom off and it slides right in

Well I figured some of you guys had your own method for getting stuff into the vac bags without getting anything on the seal & it seems I was right, but if you don't already have a method this one works every time. So if I helped a couple of you out, then today was a good day!
Al

Great tip!

I've done this using paper towels to hold the food, but I like the idea of having a stiffer holder that can be more easily extracted. Also, when I do get the sealing area wet, I clean up with more paper towels, but that takes a lot of time and, of course, it is really tough to get the moisture out of the corners.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky