THE PANCETTA IS FINALLY DONE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well I started this project on June 6th. And today it finally lost 25% of it's weight, which is the recommended weight loss. Actually anywhere between 15% to 25% depending how fatty the belly is. I went with the longer time even though my belly was pretty fat. Sorry guys, but I didn't take any photo's of the process. It's pretty simple though. This is the video that I followed: . And the second half. .
However mine took 6 months to get done, but after sampling a piece, it was definitely worth the wait.
Here are a few photo's of mine. Here is how it looked out of the curing chamber.

IMG_0757.jpg

I sliced it in the middle to see if it was OK. It looks pretty good & smalls wonderful.

IMG_0761.jpg

I sliced a few real thin slices off to see how they taste & I am very pleased. The flavor is wonderful.

IMG_0764.jpg

Now for the final step I'm going to vac pack it for 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge & this will redistribute the moisture throughout the meat.

IMG_0765.jpg

Well now my curing chamber is empty, so I think I will use it to make some beer. Never done that before, but my Grandson bought me a beer making kit, so why not give it a try.!
Thanks for looking guys!!
Al

WOW !!!... Al, It's beautiful.... no case hardening... You've got the skills...

However mine took 6 months to get done, but after sampling a piece, it was definitely worth the wait

Patience grasshopper.... That's the secret... no hurrying...

that looks delicous Al, great job. I can see ya now eating some of that with a nice cold glass of your beer!

That is one mighty good looking pancetta.... now, if I may suggest... do yourself favour and taste what pancetta really is about:
warm some olive oil, chop some garlic and mix with oil... add pinch of rosemary/oregano mix to olive/garlic... slice pancetta paper thin... get fresh warm bread, deep bread in to olive mix and top it with pancetta... heavenly taste...

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokinoak and xray
Al, 6 month of waiting time is all worth it. Great result! Beautiful pancetta! Would you mind to share what spices did you use while curing your pancetta? Usually it just cure, salt and pepper.... But I am curious...

Al That looks great that is a long time to wait,but it looks like it was worth it. Big Likes
Richie

Great job. I'm about 2 weeks into the brine. I just rinsed last night and am letting it dry uncovered in the fridge overnight before hanging tomorrow. I have a pork belly and 4 pork loins. I hope they turn out like your.

Wow! Nice job, it looks delicious.Gonna go great with the beer.
Beautiful! Nice job Al!
Yes, really awesome, nice work!
Looks fantastic!

Thanks Fellas!!
Al

WOW !!!... Al, It's beautiful.... no case hardening... You've got the skills...

Patience grasshopper.... That's the secret... no hurrying...

Thank you Dave, I appreciate it!

Looks amazing Al! I have to figure out a curing chamber this summer.
that looks delicous Al, great job. I can see ya now eating some of that with a nice cold glass of your beer!

Thanks Guys!
Al

That is one mighty good looking pancetta.... now, if I may suggest... do yourself favour and taste what pancetta really is about:
warm some olive oil, chop some garlic and mix with oil... add pinch of rosemary/oregano mix to olive/garlic... slice pancetta paper thin... get fresh warm bread, deep bread in to olive mix and top it with pancetta... heavenly taste...

That sounds amazing, & that will be on the table for Christmas!!
Al

Al, 6 month of waiting time is all worth it. Great result! Beautiful pancetta! Would you mind to share what spices did you use while curing your pancetta? Usually it just cure, salt and pepper.... But I am curious...

I followed the recipe in the video at the beginning of this thread. It is very detailed.
But here is the cure recipe.
Recipe for the cure: Pork Belly Trimmed and rectangular ... Salt 2.25% - Cure #2 .25% -- B. Pepper 1.8% -- Sugar 1.75% -- Pepper Flakes .5% -- Juniper Berries .5% -- G. Powder .25% -- O. Powder .13% -- dried Thyme .25% -- Bay Leaf .15%
Al

Beautiful Al. I need to try this.
Nice job Al , looks great .
Al That looks great that is a long time to wait,but it looks like it was worth it. Big Likes
Richie
Some great looking charcuterie there Al, well deserving of a ride on the carousel. Like, RAY
Great job. I'm about 2 weeks into the brine. I just rinsed last night and am letting it dry uncovered in the fridge overnight before hanging tomorrow. I have a pork belly and 4 pork loins. I hope they turn out like your.
Nice job All, looks fantastic!

And congrats on the ride...

John
Wow! I sure wish we were neighbors. Big BIG Like!

Thanks a lot fellas!!
Al

Last edited:
That looks Awesome, Al !!!
Gotta be Mighty Tasty!
Like.
A Pinwheel slice looks like one of those Big Lollypops they used to sell at Atlantic City, and at Carnivals. I believe they called them "All Day Suckers". Don't know if they still make them.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky