The New England Kettle Style McChicken Sandwich.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
We had a gorgeous day today. So I figured I'd fire up the 22/Vortex combo and make the wife and I a couple chicken sammies.

Started off with three boneless skinless chicken breasts. Then I pounded them with Thor's hammer until they were an even thickness. Next I brined them in a 50/50 mixture of pickle juice and buttermilk for about four hours. After I mixed up the dry ingredients: two cups of flour, 1.5 teaspoons each of baking powder and soda, 2 teaspoons each of pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a couple of pinches of kosher salt. The dredging process was your basic dip in the dry, shake off excess, dip in the egg mixture, and then dip back into the dry. I should add that I trimmed the chicken breast to fit the rolls. The trimmings will be frozen to make tenders and nuggets at a later date.

Vortex is getting hot:
DSC01800.JPG

Chicken is added:
DSC01802.JPG

One sixteen ounce PBR antibiotic later:
DSC01803.JPG

After the second 16 ounce PBR antibiotic and a flip. It was time to bring them in:
DSC01805.JPG

Add some Garlic Cayenne Cream sauce(store brand) and a roll:
DSC01806.JPG

Some lettuce:
DSC01807.JPG

Vine ripened tomato(can't wait for fresh):
DSC01808.JPG

and the money shot:
DSC01809.JPG

Thanks for taking a look. The sauce wasn't to bad. It needed a little more cayenne. Also the buns needed to be upgraded.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC01800.JPG
    DSC01800.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01802.JPG
    DSC01802.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01803.JPG
    DSC01803.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01805.JPG
    DSC01805.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01806.JPG
    DSC01806.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01807.JPG
    DSC01807.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01808.JPG
    DSC01808.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01809.JPG
    DSC01809.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 4
Heck ya, looks good! And I'm with ya on the fresh maters!

Ryan

Looks awesome Chris. That halved sandwich shot is money. We picked up some fresh Cherokee purple tomatoes today. Our favorite. BLT tomorrow

Looks delicious Chris!! I really need to get on the pickle juice chicken wagon. Have yet to try it.

That's one gorgeous cook Chris, big Like. I got into making my own burger and sausage buns eons ago and never looked back, try it, you'll like it, it's easy and they keep in the freezer. RAY

Reactions: Fueling Around
Looks awesome. What do you do with the Pickles, after stealing the Juice? Or are you in an area that sells Pickle Juice by the Gallon? One more, do you run the Kettle vents Wide Open with the Vortex?...JJ

Looks awesome. What do you do with the Pickles, after stealing the Juice? Or are you in an area that sells Pickle Juice by the Gallon? One more, do you run the Kettle vents Wide Open with the Vortex?...JJ

Not speaking for Chris. But I use the Ball pickle mix. Mix according to instructions. And put in quart jar without adding cukes. Taste the brine before using. I tend to cut it a bit with water since none of the brine was absorbed into the cukes.

Heck ya, looks good! And I'm with ya on the fresh maters!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan and for the like. It shouldn't be to much longer before get fresh produce.

Looks awesome Chris. That halved sandwich shot is money. We picked up some fresh Cherokee purple tomatoes today. Our favorite. BLT tomorrow

Ummm, that's my favorite sammie right there Jake especially with fresh tomatoes. Thanks for the kindly words and am glad your feeling better.

Chris

Looks delicious Chris!! I really need to get on the pickle juice chicken wagon. Have yet to try it.

Appreciate it Jeff and for the like. I've been doing the pickle juice brine on and off for a while now. Basically when I have the juice and am cooking something that needs brining.

Sweet mother! That is a good looking sammich. Book marking this!
Jim

Thank you jim, go for it. Besides tasting good it's simple and quick.

Chris

That's one gorgeous cook Chris, big Like. I got into making my own burger and sausage buns eons ago and never looked back, try it, you'll like it, it's easy and they keep in the freezer. RAY

Thanks Ray and for the like. Neither my wife or I are bakers and freezer space is at a premium these days. I normally buy a better roll for these, but we had these on hand and wanted to use them up.

Lordy Chris. That looks delicious! And on my short list for sure!

Appreciate that Steve and for the like. I know you have the pickle juice.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H

Thanks JJ, We almost always have pickle juice on hand. I save the juice after the pickles are gone. It has a shelf life of a few month. All vents both top and bottom are wide open when I use the Vortex. My 22 doesn't have the clam shell on the lid handle so I need a glove to lift the lid.

looks great Chris!

Thank you very much Jim and for the like.

Chris

Not speaking for Chris. But I use the Ball pickle mix. Mix according to instructions. And put in quart jar without adding cukes. Taste the brine before using. I tend to cut it a bit with water since none of the brine was absorbed into the cukes.

Sounds good Steve, we just save the jars with the juice when the pickles are done. Once in a while I'll have to eat a pickle or three to get the juice.

I usually fry the pickles. Fried pickles are a hit at our house.

I agree Peachey fried pickles are real good.

vent wise with the kettle......wide open or what?
Jim

All vents wide open. Your looking for maximum heat.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky