• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

The Microbiology of Meat Fermentation

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Cool 3 part youtube presentation:

Note: @3:19: "the mold helps lower water activity and promote case hardening"

Not correct, the mold helps SLOW DOWN case hardening be keeping the casing moist. But Mold can not stop case hardening if chamber parameters are out of whack. i,e, too much air flow, too low humidity, or too high a temp.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Making fermented sausages isn't like those powered armor suits, quantum shrinking rays, or gamma ray monsters; we're talking real science here! - Hat tip to Antman

I find the bio-science behind meat preservation amazing. How folks figured this out without laboratories, control systems, or test equipment is amazing.

JC :emoji_cat:

travisntexas

Joined Jan 13, 2017
Yeah, hard to believe the case hardening comment, but for the most part the first video seems pretty good. I am not finding part 2 or part 3 anywhere. Is it really a 3 part video series?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.