Eurika! My 'Culatello Cover Cave'.....(Long post)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So, as many of you know I started a Culatello a little over a year ago. This was from the Hampshire pig that I bought for $100 so if it all goes wrong I'm not out much. That piece was wrapped with collagen sheet initially, lost 20%, then I removed the sheet and covered with sugna. It has now lost 29%. Still got a ways to go before it is finished. When I removed the sheet, I noticed that the exposed meat area with no fat covering was boarderline case hardened. I made a mental note, covered with sugna and hung it in the chamber. Airflow may have been an issue for a few months as I dialed in my new chamber. We'll see how it turns out when it is finished. I am chalking that one up to R&D so either way, it was a success for the knowledge I gained.

Well, I started a new one in October 2021 with a Pasture raised Berkshire leg from my local butcher. I got a deal, but still paid almost as much as the whole Hampshire pig. This one, after having done a deep dive on Culatello and understanding the parameters at each stage in production, I cased this one in hog bladder. Hog Bladder transfers moisture easier than collagen sheet, but it will also case harden easier. I noticed after 2 weeks hanging in my chamber that the bladder was hard... not supple- even though I have been running my chamber 83-85%RH. The cooling cycle is still pulling too much humidity off the surface. It is drying to fast. So I restricted both the intake and return vents on the evaporator fan. That slowed the airflow down and helped some, but not enough. If I did not do something soon, I would lose the piece from case hardening and eventual spoilage.Then it hit me....EURIKA!

I was about to fall asleep one night and the idea hit me like a lightning bolt.."Make a cover with an inverted bucket!" I sat straight up in bed and made a crude drawing while the idea was fresh in my mind...yep, it ought to work!

So, what I did was buy a 10qt. paint mixing bucket from Lowe's for $4.88. I drilled (1) 3/8" hole in the center of the bottom of the bucket. Then (8) 3/8" holes along the bottom edge of the bucket drilling from the sides. Then I inverted the bucket and slid the culatello hanging string through the hole in the bottom of the bucket. Boom. Done. Then-and this is critical....I hung the culatello so that the bottom was 4-5" above my humidifier with the flow from the humidifier nozzle angled on the bottom of the Culatello.
IMG_20220218_233409.jpg

IMG_20220218_233428.jpg

When the compressor kicks on and starts dropping the RH% in the chamber, the humidity controller kicks the humidifier on. The cover catches the humidity so it does not get sucked over the evaporator coil by the evaporator fan. Water vapor is lighter than air....so it rises and creates a high RH% micro climate around the culatello WHILE THE TEMP. IS DROPPING! Just like the fog on the Po river!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!! I took my spare Inkbird RH controller and jimmied a way to hang it inside the cover to monitor the RH%. When the compressor kicks on, the RH% drops to 82-83%RH then rebounds up to 94-95% as the compressor shuts off. It stays high as the humidity spills over into the main chamber and rises to increase the RH% in the main chamber until the RH% controller shuts off. Over the next 20-30 minutes, the RH% slowly drops to 83-84% in the cover. RH is at it's lowest when the temp. in the chamber is at it's highest, so the micro-climate in the cover behaves opposite of the main chamber, rising with a decrease in temperature as the compressor is running and never going below 81%RH.

I have had it installed for 10 days now. The Culatello surface is supple again. The meat area has softened and the firmness over the fatless area has deepened becoming more even instead of concentrated near the surface. After an initial slowing of moisture loss, the moisture loss has increased. Case hardening is in the process of being reversed, the Culatello is now drying evenly. And here is the best part....THE MOLD IS GOING CRAZY! Even on the fat surfaces....spreading quickly... and that is one of the secrets of good Culatello...mold growth from the fog. The smell is incredible! All that mold will release enzymes into the Culatello which will transform it from meat to salumi.
IMG_20220218_233538.jpg

I attached a string to the RH sensor (pictured above). Drilled a small hole in the bucket at the top, pass the string through and pop the string over a small screw in the top of the cover. This makes removing and replacing the sensor easy.
IMG_20220218_233552.jpg

Last edited:
Very slow whisper of air flow over the Culatello....high RH% fog....a micro climate just like a cellar. The water vapor pulls chamber air into the bottom of the cover as it rises and exits the cover through the 8 holes.

I can dry salami and other salumi in the chamber under normal parameters while the micro-climate around the Culatello is optimum for development and drying.

Oh- I did end up having to buy a second bucket which you can see in the pics. I had to lengthen the cover by about 3.5" to cover the bottom better and also allow me to raise the Culatello about 1" to prevent condensation on the bottom from the humidifier.

*edit:
I used zipties to attach the buckets together. I drilled two holes per ziptie...8 zipties around the circumference.

Last edited:
Absolutely genius Keith!! You have taken curing meats to a whole new level. You mentioned a trade??? :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert! I have my moments when great ideas hit me. I am surely glad this seems to be working. I can't tell you how many people are lined up wanting to sample the culatelli when they are done. Time is my friend on this endeavor that's for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
When I read your posts on curing I feel the same as I did at my first astronomy lecture. Very lost and listening to a foreign language! I don’t even own a telescope and you’re operating the Hubble! I don’t understand it, but I know it’s awesome!
I'm with bauchjw bauchjw ...I just came for the pics! But very interesting for sure!

Ryan
The name of the game when it comes to salumi is even drying. You have to manipulate the parameters of airflow, temperature, and relative humidity to achieve that.

Higher airflow speeds drying.
Higher temp. speeds diffusion of moisture from the center to the outside, and speeds surface evaporation.
Higher relative humidity slows drying.

Ths opposite is also true. So to slow drying, I needed to slow air speed and raise RH%. This is what the cover achieves. Since I have other stuff hanging, lowering the temp. would affect them as well. So I left the temp. where it was.

The name of the game when it comes to salumi is even drying. You have to manipulate the parameters of airflow, temperature, and relative humidity to achieve that.

Higher airflow speeds drying.
Higher temp. speeds diffusion of moisture from the center to the outside, and speeds surface evaporation.
Higher relative humidity slows drying.

Ths opposite is also true. So to slow drying, I needed to slow air speed and raise RH%. This is what the cover achieves. Since I have other stuff hanging, lowering the temp. would affect them as well. So I left the temp. where it was.
How do you know when it's time to add more plutonium to the flux capacitor? Asking for a friend

The Cover has slowed moisture loss from the Culatello down to 0.1-0.12% per day from 0.25-0.27% per day; so it is drying about 50% slower...which is where it needs to be to keep from case hardening. It is right at 19% weight loss. Started in Chamber Dec. 1st. so a little over 2.5 months. When this Culatello reaches 32% weight loss, I will transfer to my new drying/fermentation chamber and slowly raise the temp. to 58-63*F and slowly lower the RH% to 72% to try and duplicate the cellar conditions in summertime in Zibello, Italy. This will intensify the breakdown of proteins and fats, deepening the flavor profile. After about 2 months, I will slowly lower the temp. back down and raise the RH% again, then transfer back the the maturing chamber.

Last edited:
Sausage maker has their biggest curing chamber on sale right now $600 off. ONLY $3800. Amazing what you do with your homemade setup

Sausage maker has their biggest curing chamber on sale right now $600 off. ONLY $3800. Amazing what you do with your homemade setup
I only have about $1k in my set up...and that includes everything. When I rebuild the 42cu.ft. stainless steel double door freezer into a curing chamber, the estimated cost will be $2-3K. Comparable units are 10k+ so....I'll come out ahead, and the refrigeration system will be brand new. That is my goal.....the 42cu.ft. chamber up and running......eventually.....

I'm hoping to find an HVAC guy that is willing to do this as a side job. I've got inquiries out through friends and family. Waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
For what I could understand was definitely interesting. Could see how much better his product got after he figured out his chamber. Seems simple enough to build. I'm sure you can make it as complicated as you want. Just pulled the trigger on marianskis fermented sausage and meat smoking and smoke house books

Reactions: indaswamp
That yellow book on fermented sausages will give you the big picture and break it down really as simply as possible. Best book I have read to date as someone getting started.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky