THE LONZINO IS DONE-SLICED PICS INCLUDED!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well, I was surprised to find out yesterday that my lonzino had lost 35% of it's weight. It is the first thing in my new curing fridge to get done. I thought the pepperoni would be first, but it still has a ways to go. I had no idea if any of the stuff in there would be any good, so I didn't document the process at all. I loosely followed a recipe from Marianski, making sure to use 3% salt & the proper amount of cure #2. We like heat, so I kicked up the cayenne & paprika. This turned out way better than I expected. The flavor is just insane!! I will be making this again real soon & will do a complete step by step on the whole process. Anyhow here are a couple of photo's of it sliced up. I had them wrapped in collegen sheets & netting. They came right off & took most of the mold with them. However the mold is eatable & the lonzino has a few spots on it.
Lonzino1.jpg
Lonzino2.jpg
Lonzino3.jpg
Lonzino4.jpg

I have quite a bit of meat still drying, so I'll update as each one gets done. I'm thinking these would make great Christmas gifts. Here's a quick look at the curing fridge if you haven't seen it already.

Curing chamber1.jpg
Curing chamber2.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!
Al

Looks Great, Al !!
I don't know anything about that.
Is it like my Dried Beef, in that it has to be sliced thin because it's not very tender.
You're right---Awesome Christmas Presents!!!
Like.

Bear

Al....that is gorgeous!! You need to give yourself a carousel ride with this one :emoji_wink: Just curious, how long did it take in the curing fridge? I recently did some Lonzino in UMAt bags and it went much quicker than anticipated....unlike the Pancetta that's still in the fridge after almost 6 months.

WOW!!
Robert

"Now do yourself a favor and slice it paper thin and use it as a pizza topping. Bresaola also is wondaful for this application. I'll warn you though once you do this you'll look down your nose at pepperoni as a pizza topping."

I have to chime in with Lance on this one and second his assessment. My Bresaola and Lonzino came ready at about the same time. The first thing I did when both were sliced was to make a pizza....and it was the best pizza either of us has ever had. You won't go wrong!!

I also have a Spanish Antipasto that I make which sounds very similar to what Lance mentioned that has always been done with store bought meats....but that is a thing of the past. I made it recently with the same Lonzino and Bresaola and there's just no comparison to store bought. There are so many things that you can use this stuff for that you're only limited by your imagination....and you sir are not lacking for imagination :emoji_wink:

Robert

Very nice Al!

I know what to put on my Christmas list now. No need to ship it to me overnight...2nd day is fine :-)

Last edited:
Looks Great, Al !!
I don't know anything about that.
Is it like my Dried Beef, in that it has to be sliced thin because it's not very tender.
You're right---Awesome Christmas Presents!!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John!
Yes it has to be sliced paper thin, but boy is it addictive!
Al

Al....that is gorgeous!! You need to give yourself a carousel ride with this one :emoji_wink: Just curious, how long did it take in the curing fridge? I recently did some Lonzino in UMAt bags and it went much quicker than anticipated....unlike the Pancetta that's still in the fridge after almost 6 months.

WOW!!
Robert

Thank you Robert!
Yes it did get done quicker than I thought it would.
It only took about 3 weeks!
The bresaola is much thicker & I thnk it may take a couple of more weeks.
Al

Amazing. Looks fantastic!

Thank you JC!!
Al

Al looks great. Next time skip the casing and simply truss with butcher twine inoculate with mold and hang. Cheaper easier and the results are the same. When they are ready to eat take a nylon bristle brush and brush off all the fluffy surface mold, slice and eat. If you vac pac unused portions it'll keep for months in the refrigerator.

Now do yourself a favor and slice it paper thin and use it as a pizza topping. Bresaola also is wondaful for this application. I'll warn you though once you do this you'll look down your nose at pepperoni as a pizza topping.

Also with summer fast approaching lonzino salad with arugula lemon juice & evoo dressing, artichoke hearts, shaved parm cheese and raspberries.

Thank you!
Next time I will try it without the casing. It just seemed easier to peel off the casing & start slicing.
And for sure the next pizza will be topped with lonzino!!
I'm thinking of all kinds of uses for this & the bresaola.
Thanks for the tips!
Al

"Now do yourself a favor and slice it paper thin and use it as a pizza topping. Bresaola also is wondaful for this application. I'll warn you though once you do this you'll look down your nose at pepperoni as a pizza topping."

I have to chime in with Lance on this one and second his assessment. My Bresaola and Lonzino came ready at about the same time. The first thing I did when both were sliced was to make a pizza....and it was the best pizza either of us has ever had. You won't go wrong!!

I also have a Spanish Antipasto that I make which sounds very similar to what Lance mentioned that has always been done with store bought meats....but that is a thing of the past. I made it recently with the same Lonzino and Bresaola and there's just no comparison to store bought. There are so many things that you can use this stuff for that you're only limited by your imagination....and you sir are not lacking for imagination :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thanks Robert!
If I can stop eating it I will make a pizza & a salad. The antipasto sounds really good!
Al

Very nice Al!

I know what to put on my Christmas list now. No need to ship it to me overnight...2nd day is fine :-)

Thanks Eddie!
I'm going to have to make a bunch of this stuff!
Al

That looks super good!!! And all that yummy in the fridge!!!! Looking forward for future updates!!!!!

Thank you my friend!
Al

Reactions: JC in GB
Man that looks Great, Outstanding Job

"I Like It"

Gary

Man that looks Great, Outstanding Job

"I Like It"

Gary

Thanks Gary!
I appreciate it!
BTW, how has your weather been. It looks like E. Texas has been getting hammered!
Hope your not in it!
Al

Bravo and what a setup!

Some day I'll do some more UMAI but until then I'll be admiring posts like this :)

Wow that looks great Al. You say the mold is eatable that be a tough sell in my house, but I guarantee the sticks would be gone in a heartbeat.

Point for sure.
Chris

Looks good Al. How do we get on the Christmas gift list?

Thanks Peachy!
I guess I'll have to get busy, as the list seems to be growing!
Al

Al I forgot to add that if you have a vacuum packer attachment that seals mason jars its a great way to dirty the slicer once and pack the slices up for later use. I tried vac bagging the sliced meats and while it works it crushes and creases them. Using a mason jar I slice and loosely fill a wide mouth quart jar with around 6 ounces of slices all fluffed up. Put on a lid and vacuum seal. Put in the fridge and they are good to go for months. Pop the seal and its like you freshly sliced the meat.

Only need to dirty the slicer once and be able to enjoy the meats mutiple times.

That is a great idea!
I have the mason jar attachment & a bunch of jars!
Thank you!!
Al

Bravo and what a setup!

Some day I'll do some more UMAI but until then I'll be admiring posts like this :)

Al
Enjoying checking out all your projects...thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot guys!
Al

Wow that looks great Al. You say the mold is eatable that be a tough sell in my house, but I guarantee the sticks would be gone in a heartbeat.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris & I understand what you are saying, my wife won't touch the stuff if she even sees any mold.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky