The Great Fresh Itailan Sausage Search

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoothsmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Joliet, IL
OK, I just got a new meat grinder and have been itchin' to do something with it! I have my wife's and my family coming over for Christmas. We're going to serve a simple sausage Lasagna for dinner. My wife doesn't like anything hot much less hot Italian sausage so I needed to find a good recipe, not to hot but with a nice flavor. I searched the smoking-meat forum and came up with 4 possibilities. The recipes I chose were from Scott AKA Alelover, Lynn AKA Johnny Walker, Debi AKA Dee Jay Debi and Martin AKA Digging Dog Farm.

I had a 9 lb Pork shoulder. So after removing the bone it left me with about 8 lbs of meat.

Here are the different recipe mixes and who they're from

I used my new grinder - it worked great!

I mixed 2 lbs each of the different recipes

I let them sit overnight in the fridge. Before the big Bears game Sunday I fried a patty of each and let everyone "sample" them to help me decide which had the best flavor. The winner will be used in the lasagna for Christmas!

I had my wonderful Granddaughter "Goosie" helping me decide!

And the winner is........... Recipe #1 from Alelover AKA Scott.

Thanks for looking!

You mean the extremely disappointing Bears game on Sunday :P

I live a bit north of you, and was screaming my head off at the Bears offense all afternoon.

All the sausage looked good, what was it that made #1 the winner?

Dave

Yes Dave, the Bears did Suck! Every year it seems I get so excited in the beginning of the season only to be let down once again ;(

First of all I must say that all the recipes were very good, I would make any of these again in a heartbeat. The winner #1 had a great fennel and pepper taste to it. The second #2 was very close but I think that the anise and Sage threw it off a little. #3 was a little too sweet and you could definitely taste wine. #4 definitely had the anise taste which none of the resident "experts" cared for. But like I said each one was very good in it's own right.

Tom

I have made Scott's Italian several times.......I took some of them to Winston Salem to one of Joel's (solaryellow) caterings and we smoked them for us on the side and they were gone in no time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky