STARTER CULTURE for SAUSAGE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poorboy

Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
I am going to make dried sausage soon and I am going over the recipe , I have a pouch of Bactoferm T-SPX starter culture because after doing alot of research it seemed to be the best choice for my recipe. My question is about storing the culture, I have had this in my pantry for a few months, it is not expired but I did not keep it frozen, and the instructions say to keep in freezer. So even though it is unopened is it good or bad? My thought is to throw it out but I have no experience with this so any advice would b appreciated .

Thanks,

I think it will be fine. Edit: Oops, I misread, thought you said a couple weeks.
Others with more experience than I will chime in.

Welcome to the forum from New Mexico.

Last edited:
The shelf life is short ., but I'd have to look at mine . I keep mine at -3 degrees .

Edit : 6 months frozen . Mines way older that that . Look at the bag . It should say on the back . Mine is smudged out .
If that has been in the pantry for a couple months , I don't think I would use it , just for the reason if it's not good you're wasting time and product .

Last edited:
The starter culture should always be frozen. Once opened vacseal it and put it back in the freezer.

OK, I will chunk and re order , thanks for the responses . I think I will enjoy the knowledge and experience in this group.
Thanks

Out of the freezer, shelf life varies by culture, but 3-4 weeks usually. I would recommend cutting a corner off so you have about a 1" opening, then shake the pouch. If it is still loose like grains of sand, it might still be viable.

But to echo what has already been said, yes, vacseal and keep in deep freeze after use. Will last a long time that way....even past the expiration date.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky