The dreaded stall has been cracked by science!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think that is cool the way he documents his test results to prove his point....  Makes a believer out of me....   Dave

The take home message is if you cover your meat you will shorten the stall but then some of you already knew this

I think this also explains why my direct flow SFB stick burner doesn't seem to stall as much as some of the other horro stories I've heard.  I assume that the unfettered convection current helps carry the moisture away.

Yep been a believer since I read this a while ago.
Came up in conversation friday with a smoking bud.
We were discussing cooking times prolonged by fat content or evaporative cooling

I read this when it first was posted in our forum last year. I have tried straight through smoking of Ribs and Butts and while the Bark was awesome they definitely took longer to get to temp then when I foiled. It's great to put the Why to a technique that is so frequently recommended...JJ

Yea!! I love to at least be armed with scientific facts and knowledge as to why certain things happen, rather then rely on Billy Bob's great great grandpa's war buddies old tyme cooking logic.

I'm guessing you don't know too many physicists;)
Actually I do, but I guess my point is sometimes it's easy to get so wrapped up in the minutiae you miss the simple pleasure and wonder of just appreciating something for what it is.  It's easy to over think something and suddenly you no longer appreciate the splendor of the forest from focusing so intently on the structure of the bark of a single tree.

Holy crap, I'm channeling my organic chemistry professor from the 1970's again.   Time to grab a cold beer and beat those brain cells back into submission where they belong.

Actually I do, but I guess my point is sometimes it's easy to get so wrapped up in the minutiae you miss the simple pleasure and wonder of just appreciating something for what it is.  It's easy to over think something and suddenly you no longer appreciate the splendor of the forest from focusing so intently on the structure of the bark of a single tree.

Holy crap, I'm channeling my organic chemistry professor from the 1970's again.   Time to grab a cold beer and beat those brain cells back into submission where they belong.

Sure, but for many a physicist, part of the pleasure is the minutiae. Other than that, I'll drink to beating those brain cells back into submissions!

Speaking of getting lost in the minutiae/details, isn't it ironic that before this reasearch was conducted, there were a handful of complex theories on the stall which involved meat fibers, protiens, collagens, lipids, phase Changes, and all this scientific food stuff, and it turns out the cause of the stall is something as simple as "sweating". LOL The BBQ gods can be so humbling sometimes!

Reactions: hewgag and rob d
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky