The Camp looks terrible right now (Lots of pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
It's a long story but we ended up having the place clear cut and I have lots of work to do to get ready to replant. Here's the pics I promised some of you.

This is standing in the camp yard looking toward the shooting house/ Sumosmoke's palace

6c4fe097_DSC02981.jpg

This is from the camp yard looking toward the road on the far end (see all those piles I have to burn anybody need firewood
biggrin.gif
)

2f343be5_DSC02984.jpg

Here's more random shots

f06aa62c_DSC02987.jpg

0e764646_DSC02988.jpg

f7a5899d_DSC02994.jpg

5bff7c98_DSC03010.jpg

80725b8c_DSC03013.jpg

Reactions: fpnmf
I have lots of work to do so we can get it all replanted hopefully next winter. One of the first things will be getting all that debris that's not stacked on the piles onto them and burn them

Here's some random pics of the place when we bought it

3f770261_img002.jpg

3c219e1c_img004.jpg

39f03f76_img014.jpg

This was that long road in the first set of pics

7ca7598d_img018.jpg

73287cca_img019.jpg

Here's some pics of what I had it looking like after we bought it before clear cutting it

86d20e18_DSC01309.jpg

16a65543_DSC01311.jpg

These are that same road again

e45c343a_DSC01076.jpg

57492d6a_DSC01070.jpg

5fa4dbd0_DSC01946.jpg

99b6a377_DSC02882.jpg

Very cool Jerry !

I like the before pics better, but it would be rather hard to do any planting the way it was.   
icon_mrgreen.gif

Looks like you already got a lot done!

Bear

Dude ,Jerry said those trees were not the right type that were planted and were about as grown as they would get . Time to plant anew and start over

Man that is too bad - takes a long time for good trees to grow up

I will be in the neighborhood next weekend.

Going to checkout the KOA cabins and go over to Ponce.

Keep up the good work.

>>>some folks just have to have a mission.....looks like way too much work for a geriatric old fart like me...

Have a great day and here's one of those new thumbs up thingys!!

Craig

I like the way it looks here, why did you clear cut it? What are you going to plant? What did you do with all those trees?

Here's some pics of what I had it looking like after we bought it before clear cutting it

86d20e18_DSC01309.jpg

16a65543_DSC01311.jpg

These are that same road again

e45c343a_DSC01076.jpg

57492d6a_DSC01070.jpg

5fa4dbd0_DSC01946.jpg

99b6a377_DSC02882.jpg

The quality of the seedlings they used when they planted was poor and the trees had pretty much stopped growing. At 26 years old they were much smaller than they should have been and as the logger said cut them now or cut them in 10 years the trees will be the same. The trees were all sold to a couple different mills depending on size. We will replant with Pine trees again just a better improved variety. We have right at 100 acres here and I lease another 150 next to me. Its gonna be a long process getting it ready but hopefully this time next year it will all have been replanted

Silly question perhaps but why not do a selective cut? Say, remove 50-60% this year and replant in open areas, then annually remove some more more of the old growth and replant.

I'm sure there are better tools but we have used a gravel rake to clean up chunks left behind from tree lines that we have removed.  A local dairy bought a tree farm and cleared it for crops and pasture, they had what looked like was rock picker going around the fields picking up chunks.  Part of being a good steward involves management and starting over sometimes. 

very cool, never seen the process. looking forward to the progress piney........

Jerry, I understand the clear cutting and it looks like they did something with the stumps too,  I planted some of those tree's when we built the big ranch house here and after about 25 years they had to go, I did not have the number of trees you did but a few here and there and had to get a company to remove them for the logs.  I live in the Appalachian Mountains of Southwestern Virginia where the mountains are very close together and straight up and down so I know a bit about trees and when they have to go.  Are you going to completely replant it with trees or are you going to leave an area the you and your family can enjoy like your own little park?  I saw where someone had a lot of wood cut and stacked up in kind of a clearing.  Might be nice to save a little place for fun.  It looks like you got a lot of piles to burn but that will go fast when you get started.  Keep us posted on the progress.  I know what you will be doing this summer, besides smoking meat!  Take  care Jerry.

Your Friend,

Barry

aka VirginiaSmokeSignal

Are you going to completely replant it with trees or are you going to leave an area the you and your family can enjoy like your own little park?  I saw where someone had a lot of wood cut and stacked up in kind of a clearing.  Might be nice to save a little place for fun. 
i'm thinkin' a fishin' hole is in order! 

Ok Jerry One urgent question and one warning,,,, The Question first is there still a place for me, my chair and a cooler full of beer and oysters????

Secondly, when rick read firewood I heard him drop the phone grab the saw and start the truck,,, watch out an old billy goat may be comming to steal your wood,,,,,

What a good excuse to go see Jerry

Pix make me look forward to April..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky