The Best Salad I've Ever Had, Bar None (Using Homemade Bacon) W/ Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We tend to eat a lot of salads around here, especially when the weather gets warm, which it tends to do in Central Texas. We eat them both as a side dish and as a meal. For it to be a meal, it must have meat on it. With no meat, it's just a side dish or an appetizer. Sometimes when the wife goes shopping she gets these whimsical urges and buys "stuff" that she brings home and asks me to make something with. As often as not, when I see the "stuff" I feel like I'm in the Chopped Kitchen opening one of those dreaded mystery baskets. She recently came home with some of that "stuff" for me to create something with. After a couple days thinking about it I decided to pull the trigger and make a salad since it's getting warm here. I figured worst case, we'd toss it (no pun intended) and I'd get homemade burgers out of the freezer to grill. Turned out, the last thing I needed to worry about was it being a disaster. Here is what I came up with:

The "stuff" she came home with
IMG_20180418_174311.jpg

A bag of homemade bacon crumbles I chop up from the ends of the slabs that won't slice cleanly
IMG_20180418_174523.jpg

Into the pan to cook
IMG_20180418_175005.jpg

Laid down a bed of fresh baby spinach
IMG_20180418_175236.jpg

Some cucumbers
IMG_20180418_175628.jpg

Another layer of spinach
IMG_20180418_180036.jpg

The bacon crumbles all fried up
IMG_20180418_180625.jpg

A hefty dose of Feta cheese
IMG_20180418_180717.jpg

Add the cranberries and sliced pecans
IMG_20180418_180809.jpg

Crunch up some of the Parmesan crisps
IMG_20180418_180859.jpg

A drizzle of the Raspberry dressing and we are ready to eat
IMG_20180418_180933.jpg

This salad was SOOOO good!! It hit on every flavor and textural component you could ask for. It had the sweet, sour/bitter, salty, crunchy, soft....you name it, and this salad had it. After the first bite we both decided this was far and again the best salad we have ever had. It's another of the items I've done that "if I owned a restaurant" it would be a staple in the "Chef's Specialty" category :emoji_wink:

Salads galore in Lago,
Robert
(The mods may decide to move this but I wasn't sure where to post it)

Looks great,bad thing with me they are supposed to be healthy yet I keep throwing stuff on it till the plate cant hold no more lol

"Looks great,bad thing with me they are supposed to be healthy yet I keep throwing stuff on it till the plate cant hold no more lol"

Sounds like you and I have the same approach to what makes a salad good :emoji_blush: Truth be told, I couldn't care less about the health aspects of salads...or any other food for that matter. We eat them because we both enjoy a good salad and they tend to be cool and refreshing in the middle of a Texas Summer. This one certainly didn't disappoint, that's for sure!!

Thank you for the like sir!!

Robert

Wife would love that with some strawberries sliced up on it,I'm diabetic and hold off or a low amount of sweet stuff,I also eat too much of what I am allowed so its a no win deal ,going to die of something some day and would hate to leave here hungry :emoji_wink:

Not much into Rabbit Food but I agree, add some protein and assorted flavor and texture bombs and I can make a meal of salad...Looks good. Love the 90's Raspberry Dressing touch. Didn't know there still made that stuff...JJ

Looks good, I wouldn't mind a plate of that.

Point for sure.
Chris

We also eat a ton of salads when the weather warms up.
Matter of fact were having one for lunch today!
I'm going to bookmark this, cause your salad looks real good!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky