the best rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

orng95bagdacord

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
ok ive tried alot of rubs and i just havent found the "one"...any one i got any good ones they either buy or make there own?......for pork!!!

I recently purchased the recipe for Jeff's Rub and it is outstanding.  I use it on everything from pork to poultry and it really works.  I highly recommend it.

I use my own Big Ron's Hint of Houston on pork.  Low in sodium and has a great well balanced flavor.  For pork you need a lower sodium rub as pork has a naturally salty flavor.  Enjoy!

I also resently bought Jeff`s and I use it on everything...I am like you just never could find one that I liked until now.

I hardly ever make the same rub twice! Jeff's rub is a very good base, and then you can customize it from there. Start with Jeff's, then try tweaking something the next time, and you'll be off and running!  I'm always adjusting for my mood, who I'm cooking for, a certain flavor or heat level, or what happens to be in the cupboard.   Alton Brown's rub is a good start, too.  I tend to use a bit less sugar, and more spices than a lot of folks,  I use middle eastern spices frequently, and your local Mexican/Latin grocery is the best for a great variety of chile powders and other spices. Plus, they can have some great meat options, if they're also a carniceria.  Cheers!

I switch off between famous dave's rib rub and this rub for ribs

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon or less cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon cumin

images?q=tbn:CTnLlfQjJ3IQ_M:.jpg

And Chris Lilly's championship recipe for pork butts

RUB

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I'm with ,most of the folks here and say Jeff's Rub in one of the best and worth every pennies that we all have paid for it. Then you can look in the wiki section here and find a couple mire good ones to use. Or just start playing with spices that you like and try mixing them together. You never know.

I use Cookies All Purpose Seasoning on everything except ribs.  Love it and people always ask about it cuz they like it so much.

I too have used Jeff's rub.  It's ok, but always left me wanting more spice.  So as the others have said, it starts as a good base.

I've tried several others but I also recently used Chris Lilly's rub and injection posted above by Reichl for pork and look forward to using it again this weekend.

Wanting to give some of the Plowboys rubs' a try soon.

Thus far what I like best for pork is a mixture of Trim Tabb's Pig Powder with Blues Hog Dry Rub Seasoning to bump up the heat. If you haven't tried either one of them, Trim's is sweet with a subtle tang whereas Blue's has a bit more kick much less a sweetness and a touch of bitter.

Anything from John Henry's is good at least all the one's I've tried. They've got a real good Pecan version that's probably my favorite of theirs.  I use Obie-Cue's  Big Bull's Texas Brisket Rub and The Slabs Wow Up Your Cow for brisket.  Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub and The Slabs Birds & Bones Stephy Style Rub, for chicken. Happy "Holla" Bar-BQ Seasoning & Dry Rub is good all around rub.

I enjoy making my own seasoning combinations that way too for grilling, rib roasts and things like that.

You won't go wrong with Jeff's rub. It works well with everything. I use it all the time & everyone loves the flavor. That being said, It's fun to experiment with different combination of spices. Sometimes just a simple salt, pepper, brown sugar rub is all you need. I think we are all looking for the smoke flavor, and on occasion I have overpowered the taste of the smoke with too much rub. There seems to be a very delicate balance between the taste of the meat, the smoke taste, & the taste of the spices used. None should be overpowering, but all should be evident. I think that is what keeps us all coming back to the smoker week after week. We are trying to find that perfect balance. Some weeks are better than others, but it's all good. Happy smoking  
icon_smile.gif

Try this... It is Mild and compliments different style sauces well...Add anything you like, I put more Blk and Red Pepper if guests can handle it...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky