The BBQ Gun Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One of my very favorites. S&W 686.
116d895562c8bd2f93fb65e39f28c122.jpg

Before Covid shut things down I was a regular shooter with the Powder Creek Cowboys in Lenexa, KS. Hope to get back shooting again soon.

IMG_20210207_215727.jpg

That's Claude Dirtbank on the left and Walnut Wrangler on the right.
Just call me Claude.
If y'all would like I'll photograph and post some pretty cool iron that I use in Cowboy Action Shooting.

Heres my 686 +. I got an excellent deal on it from a guy that shot it once and then decided he didn't want it. He's known for that in the local firearms forum.
I watch for his ads. ;)
eta still looking for the right Bacote gripset.

View attachment 488065
Yep, I think I could put a nice group together with that hog leg.
Have you tried Altamont Grips? They make some good ones, reasonably priced too.

Reactions: Norwester55
Yep, I think I could put a nice group together with that hog leg.
Have you tried Altamont Grips? They make some good ones, reasonably priced too.
I tried Altamont once and didn't like them. They were pretty ill fitted. May have been just my luck to get a set that quality control checked at 4:55 on Friday.
I was going to have Kim Ahrends build me a set when I got the pistol. It turned out though that was the same month he shut down due to bankruptcy.
When I got it there wasn't anybody building holsters for it other than Craft that out sources to...TURKEY???? I thought of it again today when I posted it and found somebody on etsy that makes a field model and pancake style that has high ratings. I'll order the field model I think.
il_794xN.2274097815_nulb.jpg

Reactions: Buckeyedude
One weekend my wife was pissed at me Big Time and to not make matters worse I retreated to my little shop downstairs.
I have two pair of Ruger Vaquero's, one pair stainless, the other pair blued. I took the lower serial number of each pair completely apart, stoning and polishing the parts. Then reassembled the stainless pins and other accent parts in the blued gun and the blued parts in the stainless gun. OMG that looked so cool with both handguns. Hmmm.....she's still pissed, I better just jewel the hammers and triggers and check her pulse latter. Well, with a lot of cold shoulder, I got both sets done.
I would never make her mad intentionaly but I think I may have won here.
IMG_20210307_200615.jpg

Last edited:
ok we have no permit concealed here{still have permit}. i carry .45acp usually 3.5" kimber. or my '90's 4" stainless covert but in hot summer days i carry my wifes browning .38acp. she used to have a 9mm but with her slight limp wrist she had the ejects in her shirt{ya cleavage} or on her head.. and tried HK n Sig but she likes the browning .38 acp and very light and easy rack

Last edited:
Reactions: Colin1230
I had a Firestar M45, 25 years ago. I had to sell it when money got tight in '09. I miss that littke pistola and was sad to hear Star went out of business. Replacing the Firestar now is cost prohibitive.
My Mrs' has bad Arthritis in her hands. She tried the S & W Shield EZ, and the Walther CCP 9mm. Bev had no issue racking either slide. I see a future B-Day present, that I get to play with too...JJ

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky