The ASPCA or at least my local branch Sucks!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Ok, so got this big hunk of property now, plenty of space for a Dog and somebody home 24/7 to take care of a new family member. I decide to go online and check out the ASPCA and Local Shelters as I would rather adopt then spent a fortune to a breeder or puppy mill Pet Store. We find a few dogs we are interested in. Now there are over 300,000 homeless animals in shelters in the US waiting to be adopted. These Freakin' ASPCA NAZI's want a background check, last years tax returns, income statements, 3 valid forms of ID from every member of the household, every member of the house has to have an individual Puppy Social Worker interview, an individual and group supervised Dog meet and greet, Photos of all the Rooms in the House, 4 Point Photo of the Property,  at least one possibly 2 unannounced home inspections, 3 Personal References and had the NERVE to ask our references, " Since the prospective owners are RETIRED...Are they still young enough to handle an active Dog? " WTF!!!! 54 is too Old to take care of a dog? Retired don't mean 65+! On top of all this BS, with Fees and what not the COST to adopt is $250!!!! For a TWO YEAR OLD MUTT?!? For $ 300 to 500 there are Pure Breeds with Papers available all over Craigs List! The ATTITUDE of the woman checking references and making the decision is ridiculous, condescending with a noticeable God Complex intonation stating, " Well we have had a few applications for the animal you are interested in. We will vet ALL the prospective owners and decide on the best fit for Henry..."

Now I get it...Can't have Dog Fighting Rings getting ASPCA animals for training and there are expenses to cover, but having us jump through this number of FLAMING HOOPS!?!?! 

What a F$%KING JOKE! No wonder there are 300K Animals in Shelters. The search continues... Elsewhere!...JJ 
BSmeter.gif

Last edited:
JJ, what's worse is the fact that they can do this without fear of repercussion since they are a non profit...

Do you have any local city or county shelters?  They almost give them away so that they know they will be cared for and not euthanized...  Here, we had a clear the shelter weekend a few weeks ago and ALL 200 animals were adopted out for the cost of the shots and spay/neuter.

JJ, there have been reports.....    All they want is donations and they euthanize millions because it costs too much to place animals...    It is a money scam...   they don't care about the welfare of the animals..  MONEY....  send us MONEY....

JJ, what's worse is the fact that they can do this without fear of repercussion since they are a non profit...

Do you have any local city or county shelters?  They almost give them away so that they know they will be cared for and not euthanized...  Here, we had a clear the shelter weekend a few weeks ago and ALL 200 animals were adopted out for the cost of the shots and spay/neuter.
As far as I can tell there is no local old fashioned Dog Catcher or shelter not tied to the ASPCA...

JJ, there have been reports.....    All they want is donations and they euthanize millions because it costs too much to place animals...    It is a money scam...   they don't care about the welfare of the animals..  MONEY....  send us MONEY....
Now THAT is a Crying Shame! 25 years ago we adopted our first dog from the Lancaster County PA ASPCA. Walked in, picked out a Spaniel mix Puppy, prepaid the $40 for Spaying and took her home! They judged us on look and a few minutes of talking. We had that girl 12 years and she was truly one of my children and the kids Nanny. She would lay under the Crib and if the baby woke, the dog came and got Mom's attention by whining and motioning toward the babies room...JJ

i got my blue heeler for $90 at 12 weeks old 6 years ago and it's the best dog i've ever had (Craigslist) we did get a couple shelter dogs over the years from a place called PAWS both times they charged $50 for adoption fees but both had heart worms when we took them to our vet and both times the wife thought it was a good idea to go through the $6-700 of injections to clear it up.... I love dogs and hate to see them caged up like that... especially when you know some irresponsible people likely got that dog as a puppy, did nothing to train it and maybe even worse, encouraged stuff like jumping because it was cute when the dog was 10 pds, and they abandoned it at 2 years old because the dog is wild acting from them being crap dog owners... but i won't be getting dogs from shelters after my 2 PAWS experiences

Last edited:
My next question was if anybody had experience, good or bad with adopting sight unseen from Out of State Rescues? Seem to be quite a few that you adopt from a profile and pic and the dog is shipped. Sounds fishy. Would hate to Order a Puppy and receive a 12 year old with health issues after your account is charged...JJ

Sorry to hear you are having this trouble trying to rescue a pet it seems to me that I have heard stories before just like yours   and then they wonder why they cant find homes 

Reactions: JC in GB
I can't believe you don't have a humane society shelter in your county.

They have dogs & cats for adoption for just the cost of shots & neutering.

Al

Reactions: jcam222

I can't believe you don't have a humane society shelter in your county.

They have dogs & cats for adoption for just the cost of shots & neutering.

Al
None in my county and surrounding counties are either affiliated with the ASPCA, have similar vetting processes, or charge a Premium for Out of County Adoptions. They just don't seem to be in a big hurry to get animals adopted...JJ

None in my county and surrounding counties are either affiliated with the ASPCA, have similar vetting processes, or charge a Premium for Out of County Adoptions. They just don't seem to be in a big hurry to get animals adopted...JJ
You know what!

I agree that really sucks!!

There are so many abandoned & abused animals in these shelters & when a responsible person wants to adapt one they put up all these hurdles.

wtf1.gif

Good luck JJ I hope you get your dog!

Al

Reactions: JC in GB
We adopts our last dog from out of state sort of. He came from out of state from a shelter to a shelter in our state. We had to go through a similar process but not as bad or as expensive as what you're describing. Our total fees were $60, we did have to do a background check, and visit the dog with our other dogs. That visit though wasn't monitored it was more about the dogs getting along more than anything else. Then there was. 72 hold after we said we'd take him. The $60 fee covered the spay/neutering fee and the back ground check fee.

Got yo love it,try and help out and get screwed. Our local humane society told my wife they required an in home visit and other hoops we would have to go through we ended up going through a breeder.

And keep in mind that there is the original American Humane Society, and the fairly new Humane Society of the US (HSUS). The latter is reputed to be a complete scam. They run touching TV commercials, and collect a lot of money, but almost none of it goes to helping animals.

I would find a reputable veterinarian in your area, and ask them who they recommend nearby as a source of a healthy dog looking for a good home. Perhaps your existing vet if you have one.

If they were already your vet, they will be familiar with you and how you treated your previous dog(s). And in any case, they will likely be up to date on many nearby animals in need of adoption.

Here, we have an American Humane Society no-kill shelter that is well run and good to work with. They are staffed entirely by volunteers and run completely on donations. I hear good things about them.

We also have a county "Metro Animal Control" which is the local "dog catcher" and shelter. They DO euthanize, so they are fairly motivated to adopt out their animals.

As is usual, they are underfunded and apprecative of people looking to adopt. They do charge to cover vaccinations and neutering, etc., and there may be some vetting of prospective adopters, but nobody I know has ever had anything bad to say about the process.

Perhaps a town not too far from you has a similar county or city run shelter or GOOD AHS affiliated shelter.

With so many cats and dogs in need of good homes, it is a shame to hear of the process being so burdensome that it discourages good people.

Good luck finding a wonderful companion. There are a lot of great pets in need of a good home.

Tabbed in.

Thanks for the input all. Shame there is no such thing as the Daily Paper. It was a great source for free pets and other great items for cheap. All that and a Potty Training Aid for the new Puppy!
biggrin.gif
...JJ

That really sucks JJ. We have a similar process up here but they are a hell of a lot more reasonable and cooperative--just a basic form to fill out and a meet and greet.

You can try going on kijiji and look for dogs in your area.

Good luck. I figure any dog you get will be thanking his lucky star.

Gary

Hang in there ,,, find the right fit . It will happen . Could be that someone that works there , or a family member had eyes for the same dog . I have always had German Shepherd dogs . Decided to rescue this last go around . Found a no kill shelter , and adopted a cattle dog  / cocker mix . some qeustions , and proof of sanity plus $100 . She was mine . BEST  dog I have ever had . 

Check your options , be patient . Your new buddy is out there waiting ! 

Good luck . 

Chop 

Our SPCA around here is, from what I hear pretty militaristic too.

They just arrested the president and one vet tech, between them

they cleaned out over a hundred grand.

They are definitely not into adopting out dogs.

I know they have to be careful today, but they should use their brains as well.

These folks are into big money before anyone gets a dog out of there.

Just my rant about these jerks.

Hope you find a great dog for your family.

Ed

Last edited:
Some groups let the potential for power just plain go to their heads.  Same thing happens to HOA boards (don't get me started on that).  In the end, an over reaching group like that is actually pushing more potential pairings of rescued pets with loving owners further away.  Of course they are too stuck up with their power trip to consider that.  It's a shame.....

Our last dog was an adult mixed breed from a rescue shelter (actually it was a cat shelter, go figure).  A family had gotten the dog from another shelter out of state for their son, and only after they got the dog home found out he was actually allergic.  So their friend ran a cat shelter and took the dog in.  We had that dog 17 years (and she was a full grown adult when we got her), so she lived a very long happy life, and passed earlier this year. Her photo is in my avatar (it's a 2005 photo).

I would not hesitate to go with another rescue animal, but I would not be participating in the Nazi 3rd degree you describe.  I would laugh in their faces and pretty much tell them what I thought about their program and point out how they just lost "another" adoption for those reasons.

This is one of our favorite photos of "Lady" (kids called her "boo dog").  It was taken on our boat one day.  Just try and convince me dogs don't smile...

Last edited:
Holy @#$%, Jimmy----I  never heard of such a thing!!

The last Dog we had was Shadow (Black Lab Mix). My Son was making deliveries to Bars back then, and he called me from a Bar in Chalfont & asked if he could bring a Pup home. He said the guy has 3 left, and wants $5 each. I said sure, as long as he took care of him. We had him until he died at 12 1/2 years old. Great Dog!!

Good Luck, Jimmy,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky