Thanksgiving turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhambrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Birmingham, Alabama
For a large number of years I have spatchcocked my Thanksgiving turkey. I means I can drop the bird on the table in 90 minutes or less (plus resting time). I don't brine it, because the cooking time is so short it always comes out ridiculously juicy.

This year I'll roast it over lump charcoal, leaving the oven free for casseroles and pie.

How are y'all dealing with your gobbler this year?

Reactions: JLeonard
I’ll be smoking for 2 hours and then into the deep fryer. Did this years ago and it’s the absolute best way I’ve ever done a turkey.

Reactions: 3-2-1
^ I've heard about this. May give it a try this year. Would be interested to hear other thoughts as well.

Folks here not into smoked bird for the big day, myself included. The thought of the house not smelling like turkey all day is almost sacrilegious. That said, I LOVE smoked turkey! My fave way is cured and smoked a very long time (see avatar).

Reactions: chopsaw
12- 14 lb bird brined over night, next day put an herb butter under the skin, and then smoked whole with apple wood. No stuffing in the cavity. I smoke an additional bone-in breast on the side the same way.

Reactions: equinn
Folks here not into smoked bird for the big day, myself included. The thought of the house not smelling like turkey all day is almost sacrilegious. That said, I LOVE smoked turkey! My fave way is cured and smoked a very long time (see avatar).
We almost always have one in the oven and one or more in the smoker.
Family always wants to see who does a better bird, my wife or I.

I deep fried a turkey 2 years ago & I have to say it was the best turkey I ever made, but I hate to spend the money for the turkey & peanut oil. So this year I will spatch it & smoke it in a pan with broth. I have done this several times & everybody loves it!
Al

Probably this^^^ if circumstances allow for company.
Both spatched, one on smoker, one in oven.
Another main entree ... sometimes ham, sometimes seafood ....

A few years with friends we would fly in lobsters and race them before cooking ... told them the winner escaped ... lied of course ... I’m screwed if St Peter actually looks like this🦞

Reactions: JLeonard
Heck yeah. The more the merrier! I just try and remind guys not everyone is into smoked turkey.

Totally with SmokinAl SmokinAl that deep fried is actually the best dinner bird IMO. If you don't want to buy 4G of peanut oil, get a breast and cut in half. Uses WAY less oil and safer too. Be sure and give it an overnight rest after injecting.

Spatched, Injected and Smoked.

how long do you smoke it for and at what temp? I usually do smaller turkeys, so I’ve never spatchcocked before. I’m doing a 26lb so I think I need to this time. I usually do 275 degrees for about 4 hours for a 10-12 pound bird, checking the temperature reaches 160 before taking it out To rest. I’m doing it for an event, so I want to get an idea of how long that will take.

I have a pellet smoker.

I’m not sure I would smoke such a large bird, as I’d fear it will spend quite a long time in the ‘danger zone’ ... I’ve not done one that big that way, so someone else here will have a better opinion.

And don’t think you get a lot of smoke flavor at 275+, but running at the low temp smoke setting around 180 for a while exacerbates that problem(?)

Out of the question to do two smaller birds?

how long do you smoke it for and at what temp? I usually do smaller turkeys, so I’ve never spatchcocked before. I’m doing a 26lb so I think I need to this time. I usually do 275 degrees for about 4 hours for a 10-12 pound bird, checking the temperature reaches 160 before taking it out To rest. I’m doing it for an event, so I want to get an idea of how long that will take.

I have a pellet smoker.
Definitely spatchcock that BIG bird.
It'll cook just fine at 275° and get a decent smoke.
If you want lots of smoke, I'd suggest doing a thorough curing brine first, and then let it air dry in the fridge for 24 hours.
Then you could smoke for an hour or two at 200°-225°, then crank it up to 350°-375° and finish it for hopefully a decent skin.

I’m not sure I would smoke such a large bird, as I’d fear it will spend quite a long time in the ‘danger zone’ ... I’ve not done one that big that way, so someone else here will have a better opinion.

And don’t think you get a lot of smoke flavor at 275+, but running at the low temp smoke setting around 180 for a while exacerbates that problem(?)

Out of the question to do two smaller birds?
The event was Tuesday, and the turkey was donated. I had agreed to cook it. I didn’t know it would be so big. I was paranoid about the size, so I brined it too long, spatchcocked it, and cooked it too high. It ended up very juicy, but a bit salty, and it didn’t get enough smoke flavor. It was just okay, not fantastic like my usual smaller smoked birds. Everyone said it was good, but I was bummed cuz I know it could have been so much better. I brined it for 19 hours and smoked at 325 degrees. It took 4 hours 15 minutes.

Hopefully, this will be informative for someone of what not to do.

Side note: Another reason I decided to smoke at a higher temp was because we were having a snow storm. Having never smoked anything in a snowstorm before, I decided to hedge it a little in case the smoker couldn’t keep up. It had no issues. I love my GMG.

Last edited:
Brined, spatched, injected and smoked probably over apple, pear nd cherry wood. Will have 3 or 4 of them going. Spoking turkeys for a couple of friends.

Not sure what we're doing this year, most of my family has canceled Thanksgiving and probably Christmas this year. It will just be the wife and I, a whole turkey may be a bit much. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

who does a better bird, my wife or I.
Only one answer to that question .
Just be me and the kids . We each picked a couple things to make .
I have 2 whole breast that will be cooked outside on the 26 . No smoke here either .
2 different brines or injections .

, most of my family has canceled Thanksgiving and probably Christmas this year.
Must have the same smart gene .

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky