Texas style beef chili and biscuits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have seen a few chili cooks on here lately that had me ready for some chili. 73saint 73saint posted on that got my attention so I decided to use it as a starting point for what I would do.
https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/texas-brisket-chili/

First up was to make the chili sauce the recipe calls for. For that I used dried peppers. 6 Ancho, 4 guajillo and 4 arbol. I seeded them and put them in a cast iron skillet to toast a bit. After that I covered with water and brought to a boil after which I covered them for 20 minutes. I transferred all the peppers and one cup of the water to a bowl along with 2 chipotles and a couple tablespoons of adobo sauce. Hit it with the immersion blender until I had a beautiful rich thick pepper sauce.

peppers .jpg

Below are most of the rest of the ingredients. You can see the nice rich pepper paste on the left. In addition are one large diced onion, 4 large diced poblano, 1 cup of strong coffee, 1 1/2 cups of smoke au jus from the shoulder clod smoke, 1/2 lbs of my homemade bacon, 8 cloves of minced garlic, 5 lbs. of smoked shoulder clod cubed, 1 tbsp each cumin, smoked paprika and Mexican oregano and about a 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Not pictured is 8 oz. of sugar free dark chocolate chips and two small can of tomato paste.
chili ingredients.jpg

Frying up the bacon with the peppers and onions. Will use grease and all in the chili.
bacon peppers onions.jpg

Next up adding all the ingredients to the Instant Pot. Pic was taken prior to stirring in the two small cans of tomato paste. It cooked on manual at 50 minutes followed by a quick release of pressure. I used a potato masher to mash and shred the beef and then finished off on saute setting until the thickness was where I wanted it.
in instant pot.jpg

Here is the chili all finished off. I am a huge believer that chili is always better the next day so after sampling a small cup I set it out to cool and hit the frig for a day.

finished chili.jpg

Prior to supper I thought that my keto cheddar biscuits would pair really where with the chili. I also decided to mix some diced jalapeno in. Below are the ingredients 1/2 cup butter, 4 eggs, 1/3 cup of coconut flour , 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking powder , 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 cup of shredded cheddar and lastly a 5 oz. can of diced jalapeno drained very well.
biscuit ingredients.jpg

Melt the butter and whip the eggs together, mix all dry ingredients together first and then combine all ingredients. Add about 2/3 of the peppers and mix it all up. I will top them with the remaining peppers before baking. Here is the dough.

biscuit dough.jpg

I used a cookie scooper to get 7 biscuits from this mix and topped them each with a little of the remaining diced jalapeno. Into the oven they go at 400F for 15 - 20 minutes until nice golden on top.

biscuits done.jpg

Finally time for supper. Chili topped with cheddar, sour cream and some chive along with a couple biscuits and some oil packed hot peppers. Delicious!!
plated 2.jpg

The chili is very rich with a good pop of spice. Next time for this size batch I may bump the chocolate up to 16 oz. and the cinnamon to a full tsp. I am going to keep playing with this recipe until I get it just right.

Thanks for looking!! Think I will have another bowl now.

Looks real good Jeff, That would hit the spot with today's temps.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
The Chili sounds good. I'm curious about the Biscuits. What is the texture like? The recipe reminded me of Cheese Straws but with Eggs and Coconut Flour instead of AP Flour...JJ

That's an excellent looking bowl of chili Jeff. Well, the entire thing looks fantastic. We've been doing chili a lot recently but I might just have to do an adaptation of yours. Excellent job my friend and a big LIKE!!

Wow that looks good,
Robert

The Chili sounds good. I'm curious about the Biscuits. What is the texture like? The recipe reminded me of Cheese Straws but with Eggs and Coconut Flour instead of AP Flour...JJ
The texture is somewhat a cross of a biscuit and a dense bread. They can tend to be just slightly dry. Perfect buttered :) Still working to see what I can do to make just a tad fluffier and moister with Keto approves ingredients.

Wow does that chili sure look good Jeff! You could come up and keto me like crazy anytime!

Beautiful color too, gotta love that chili puree.

Damn that looks amazing, that is a fine look'in chili along with all of the fixin's.
Chili is one of my favorite meals......I have a good recipe but it makes about 5 gallons and there are only 2 of us in our house.:emoji_fearful::emoji_laughing:
I make it and freeze it up in batches.:emoji_thumbsup:

" I used dried peppers. 6 Ancho, 4 guajillo and 4 arbol". Where do you get stuff like that in OHIO? Hellfire, I am lucky to find a Jalapeno in Georgia . Is there a place I can find these or order these dried peppers--OR do you dry them yourself. Heck--I've never even heard of them. That is such a good looking recipe- Thanks for sharing the pictures (and making us all hungry). I can feel my saliva glands growling asI think of adding a dash of "Worshy" and chowing down. Charlie

Last edited:
" I used dried peppers. 6 Ancho, 4 guajillo and 4 arbol". Where do you get stuff like that in OHIO? Hellfire, I am lucky to find a Jalapeno in Georgia . Is there a place I can find these or order these dried peppers--OR do you dry them yourself. Heck--I've never even heard of them. That is such a good looking recipe- Thanks for sharing the pictures (and making us all hungry). I can feel my saliva glands growling asI think of adding a dash of "Worshy" and chowing down. Charlie
My little rural town in Ohio is home to 3 major produce farms who ship all over North America. That produce is picked by many migrant workers from Mexico. Over the last near 100 years many have stayed and made it home. I have my choice of two little grocerias and the local Savealot even stocks most of those. Once you hear that USPS is back to normal let me know. I’ll ship you some. They are very inexpensive.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky