Texas Is BACK!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
MJB
all is good and I was involved in some early threads on here on CV19 that got shutdown. some warranted some I thought were like this one, civil. I'm like you I was only given mine. opinion only. this has caused so many to try to force their opinion on others. you were not as I wasn't.
I haven't watched the news and deleted my Twitter account many months back due to people either telling me or insinuating I'm wrong for my own opinions. like you I enjoy this site for many reasons. 1 st is the food. 2nd is 99% time we can debate and talk things thru and find out how others think and live. sincerely wish you and others the best thru all of this.

Reactions: MJB05615
As long as we're talking Masks, I'll give my experience:
Mrs Bear & I practically never leave home, so we don't wear any mask 99% of the time. Bear Jr & his wife are the only others allowed in our house, and when they come in they always wear masks, and wipe the knobs off that they touch.
The only 2 times I have worn a mask, since my younger Cabinetmaking days, was in October, to get my first ever FLU shot, and this past Monday for my 1st dose of Covid serum.
Now here's what happened to me Monday:
We jumped in Mrs Bear's car & she drove us to Weis Market. I put the best Mask I have on, and we got out & walked across the Parking Lot to the store entrance. I had trouble keeping up with her, for the first time in my life, but made it to the door.
I was having a lot of trouble breathing, but I kept going. By the time we got to the Pharmacy I was gasping for air & getting light-headed. I sat down & pulled the bottom of the mask away a little to get some air. This helped enough to make me reach into my pocket to get the thin cloth mask My Niece had made for me, and I switched masks. After a few minutes I felt like I wasn't going to pass out, so from now on I'll be wearing that thin mask. It's not as good as the real good one I tried, but I gotta be able to breath, and I couldn't breathe with that good one on, while exerting.
Bear Jr wears masks a lot, and he told me I shouldn't even try to wear the real good one----I forget the Number they call it, but it's the one recommended.
So if anybody else is out there who has COPD, Emphysema, Congestive Heart Failure, and other things associated with Agent Orange, you might want to wear a thinner mask. It's better than nothing!

Bear

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks phathead69 phathead69 , I feel the same way. This is the best place to be as I have stated many times, and "civil" is the best description you could have used. I have several friends that get so worked up trying to force their opinions on me, it's a little scary. I don't understand why they get so torqued up if you don't want to argue with them. When I tell them I'd rather live my life as happy as possible, enjoy my new Granddaughter, etc. they don't understand. I've never begrudged anyone for their opinions. I really appreciate your reply, thanks very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: phathead69
As long as we're talking Masks, I'll give my experience:
Mrs Bear & I practically never leave home, so we don't wear any mask 99% of the time. Bear Jr & his wife are the only others allowed in our house, and when they come in they always wear masks, and wipe the knobs off that they touch.
The only 2 times I have worn a mask, since my younger Cabinetmaking days, was in October, to get my first ever FLU shot, and this past Monday for my 1st dose of Covid serum.
Now here's what happened to me Monday:
We jumped in Mrs Bear's car & she drove us to Weis Market. I put the best Mask I have on, and we got out & walked across the Parking Lot to the store entrance. I had trouble keeping up with her, for the first time in my life, but made it to the door.
I was having a lot of trouble breathing, but I kept going. By the time we got to the Pharmacy I was gasping for air & getting light-headed. I sat down & pulled the bottom of the mask away a little to get some air. This helped enough to make me reach into my pocket to get the thin cloth mask My Niece had made for me, and I switched masks. After a few minutes I felt like I wasn't going to pass out, so from now on I'll be wearing that thin mask. It's not as good as the real good one I tried, but I gotta be able to breath, and I couldn't breathe with that good one on, while exerting.
Bear Jr wears masks a lot, and he told me I shouldn't even try to wear the real good one----I forget the Number they call it, but it's the one recommended.
So if anybody else is out there who has COPD, Emphysema, Congestive Heart Failure, and other things associated with Agent Orange, you might want to wear a thinner mask. It's better than nothing!

Bear
I have a cotton mask that has a nylon filter slid into it, and that's easier to breath than the paper ones.
Weird because the paper ones are much thinner. We have only had my Son, Daughter in Law, Granddaughter and MIL into our home over the past year. We don't wear masks in the house. But wherever we go like work, the store, etc, we wear them always. Not in the car though because I would fall asleep, lol. We also keep a supply of disinfectant wipes in our cars and use them each time we reenter the car from a store or whatever. Couldn't hurt to be overly cautious.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Remember people, Just breathe. Abbott did not say "NOT to wear a mask" Again, please stop listening with half an ear. What he said was that due to the efficacy of the vaccine, the lowering number of affected people and the lowering death toll, he was only removing the "MANDATE to ear masks, and is leaving the decision on how people should live their lives and getting the government our of the business of making your decisions for you. He actually recommended continuing to mask IF THAT IS YOUR DECISION! Anyone remember fighting a war against an over repressive government? How about we stop dictating how other people live and start living according to our own dictates?

If you want me to respect your decision to wear a mask , how about you respect my decision not to?

The numbers are now at a plateau, just like they were twice before, when people got lax with masks & distancing. That's fine to say it's OK for those who don't want to wear a mask, but those who do wear one have to breathe their exhales, because the Masks are mainly to help others, not so much the wearer.
So IMHO, not wearing a mask is showing you don't care about others.
That is my opinion, and also what the scientists & The CDC tell us.

Bear

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson
Nailed it!!!
They need to let the business owners and public decide what is best for them.
Personally I rather die than live life as a scared recluse.
Not me the only time I locked down was when I tested positive for vid-19. And as soon as I got the all clear from my Dr I went back to living my life. I was and still have been visting family and friends flying out of state and drinking beers at a local place that refused to shut down from day one too the present time. The funny thing is I never set foot into the place before the dreaded 19 hit. But I promise you that since they sacrificed their livelihood and made a stand against the absolute corrupted government I'll be a customer for life.

You can get your shots or live your life under the government's thumb over this if it makes you feel better but don't tell me what I can or can't do.
("Don't thread on me") or tell me what is best for my family.

I have Drs and trauma care RNs in my family. There hasn't been one death in their hospital and only one person that needed to be ventilated since day one of these lock downs. So I'll take my chances.

• Love
Reactions: pa42phigh and PPG1
If you want me to respect your decision to wear a mask, how about you respect my decision not to?

Absolutely! I may have an opinion about what people choose to do or not do, but never question a person's choices...as long as I'm not impacted. I put not wearing a mask in the same category as a smoker and second-hand smoke, but potentially deadlier with a faster impact.

My parents smoked a lot; dad 5 packs a day, mom 1-2. As a child, I had no choice whether or not to be in the car or the house as they smoked. Other than some wacky weed in university, I've taken one puff of a cigarette in my life. I've suffered from bronchitis for decades as a result of second-hand smoke while growing up. To be fair, second-hand smoke wasn't even studied back then, so no one was aware of its impact. They are now. Both my parents died from smoking-related issues. I never told them to stop but would not allow them to smoke around my kids.

So, back to Covid. I lost my spleen from a 125 MPH motorcycle crash, a risk-filled personal choice as a stupid 20-something. The spleen is a major part of a person's immune system. Once it was removed, my immune system became compromised. Pneumonia is my kryptonite unless I keep up on my vaccinations. What does Covid allow to run rampant? Pneumonia.

I have an opinion about people not wearing a mask but respect their choice to do so. And I give them a wide berth, avoiding maskless people by a great distance. An infected maskless person may be asymptomatic, or only suffer a mild flu-like condition, but they may have walked by someone like me and unknowingly put them in the hospital or worse.

One more thought. I hated wearing seatbelts before they were mandated. One day a Highway Patrol officer gave a briefing about seatbelts on the Navy base where I was a flight instructor. I suffered through his lecture, and then he said, "I've never unbuckled a dead person after a car accident." Whether it was true or not, I've been wearing seatbelts every time I get in the car or truck. You just never know what someone might say to change your mind about a personal behavior.

Ride on!

Don't go out much on a good day . I do miss meeting my buddies for lunch during the week . That will come in time . I don't want to get it , but I would hate to have it and make someone sick . When I do go out I only go where they require a mask . Won't spend money with some place that doesn't . I wear the mask and claim my space . That's the end of it .

Reactions: Bearcarver
Absolutely! I may have an opinion about what people choose to do or not do, but never question a person's choices...as long as I'm not impacted. I put not wearing a mask in the same category as a smoker and second-hand smoke, but potentially deadlier with a faster impact.

My parents smoked a lot; dad 5 packs a day, mom 1-2. As a child, I had no choice whether or not to be in the car or the house as they smoked. Other than some wacky weed in university, I've taken one puff of a cigarette in my life. I've suffered from bronchitis for decades as a result of second-hand smoke while growing up. To be fair, second-hand smoke wasn't even studied back then, so no one was aware of its impact. They are now. Both my parents died from smoking-related issues. I never told them to stop but would not allow them to smoke around my kids.

So, back to Covid. I lost my spleen from a 125 MPH motorcycle crash, a risk-filled personal choice as a stupid 20-something. The spleen is a major part of a person's immune system. Once it was removed, my immune system became compromised. Pneumonia is my kryptonite unless I keep up on my vaccinations. What does Covid allow to run rampant? Pneumonia.

I have an opinion about people not wearing a mask but respect their choice to do so. And I give them a wide berth, avoiding maskless people by a great distance. An infected maskless person may be asymptomatic, or only suffer a mild flu-like condition, but they may have walked by someone like me and unknowingly put them in the hospital or worse.

One more thought. I hated wearing seatbelts before they were mandated. One day a Highway Patrol officer gave a briefing about seatbelts on the Navy base where I was a flight instructor. I suffered through his lecture, and then he said, "I've never unbuckled a dead person after a car accident." Whether it was true or not, I've been wearing seatbelts every time I get in the car or truck. You just never know what someone might say to change your mind about a personal behavior.

Ride on!
My reply to this is it sounds like you know that your immune system is compromised. Wouldn't you be better off staying home than expecting the world to change around you? Who is going to pay for your grandkids medical coverage / retirement when they get to be your age? At this rate nobody is they won't have 1/100th of the chances/luxuries too live out their lives that we have had. Our parents and grandparents fought and died to make sure that we have those rights.

What are we doing for our kids and grandchildren right now by hiding at home like scared little lambs? Nothing we are breaking down what our elders fought and died for freedom. The freedom of choice to keep our country American strong or to throw in the towel and live like good little lambs. This isn't about an illness at this point. The government is changing right before our eyes if you can't see this right this second you never will or never will until it is too late.

I do my part by giving the people around me the chance to either walk away or walk towards me to either shake my hand or give me a hug. I do so because I don't know everyone's health history. But for those people to expect me to change the way I live my life to pacify their personal needs…I can promise you that ain't happening not under my watch and not in my lifetime.

Dan

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pa42phigh and PPG1
My reply to this is it sounds like you know that your immune system is compromised. Wouldn't you be better off staying home than expecting the world to change around you? Who is going to pay for your grandkids medical coverage / retirement when they get to be your age? At this rate nobody is they won't have 1/100th of the chances/luxuries too live out their lives that we have had. Our parents and grandparents fought and died to make sure that we have those rights.

What are we doing for our kids and grandchildren right now by hiding at home like scared little lambs? Nothing we are breaking down what our elders fought and died for freedom. The freedom of choice to keep our country American strong or to throw in the towel and live like good little lambs. This isn't about an illness at this point. The government is changing right before our eyes if you can't see this right this second you never will or never will until it is too late.

I do my part by giving the people around me the chance to either walk away or walk towards me to either shake my hand or give me a hug. I do so because I don't know everyone's health history. But for those people to expect me to change the way I live my life to pacify their personal need…I can promise you that ain't happening not under my watch and not in my lifetime.

Dan

I had a good friend that made many of those same arguments and didn't wear a mask and he got covid and did not survive it. He gave it to a couple family members as well but thankfully they didn't get real sick and die like he did.
Exactly how is the government changing they can't fine you for not wearing a mask, they can't put you in jail for not wearing a mask, they can't physically put a mask on your face. Facts say masks help protect people from getting covid 19 so what's the big problem with wearing one? My wife works in an Emergency Department and takes care of people who have covid, people who don't and others who don't know if they have it just like the rest of the staff does and while they have had a couple nurses and doctors get it none of them can be tied back to their job in fact a couple have found out they got it from friends outside of work when they weren't wearing a mask. It seems to be kind of mixed whether the mask protects you or other people or maybe some of both so I'll wear one and try to lessen my chances of getting it or giving it to someone else. As far as a scared lamb I don't feel like one I go where I need to when I need to but don't go looking for things to do but then again even without covid I usually don't go places unless I need to go somewhere. As for businesses not allowing people in that don't have masks on that is their right just as it is at your house you can tell people they have to wear a mask ort that they can't where a mask that's your right.

I had a good friend that made many of those same arguments and didn't wear a mask and he got covid and did not survive it. He gave it to a couple family members as well but thankfully they didn't get real sick and die like he did.
Exactly how is the government changing they can't fine you for not wearing a mask, they can't put you in jail for not wearing a mask, they can't physically put a mask on your face. Facts say masks help protect people from getting covid 19 so what's the big problem with wearing one? My wife works in an Emergency Department and takes care of people who have covid, people who don't and others who don't know if they have it just like the rest of the staff does and while they have had a couple nurses and doctors get it none of them can be tied back to their job in fact a couple have found out they got it from friends outside of work when they weren't wearing a mask. It seems to be kind of mixed whether the mask protects you or other people or maybe some of both so I'll wear one and try to lessen my chances of getting it or giving it to someone else. As far as a scared lamb I don't feel like one I go where I need to when I need to but don't go looking for things to do but then again even without covid I usually don't go places unless I need to go somewhere. As for businesses not allowing people in that don't have masks on that is their right just as it is at your house you can tell people they have to wear a mask ort that they can't where a mask that's your right.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend and anybody else that has died.
If you can't see the changes in our government I don't have anything to say that will make you see the changes. I understand people have died which stinks, but people die every year due to illnesses that don't shut down 60to80% of the American economy or shut down peoples livelihood and family and friends gatherings. (it's all about control)
All I can say is stay 6' away from people and live your life as you see fit.

The only reason I wear a mask is because of the mandate if it wasn't for that I'd take my chances and live every day as if it was my last. I'm not going to lock myself in my house over anything that has a 95% survival rating and that's pretty much all I have to say about this.
We can agree to disagree on this topic.

Hang in there.
Dan

• Love
Reactions: PPG1
Hmmm, People Die every year due to illnesses??
Really--as in 525,000 dead in one year??
From a Virus that could be held in check if everyone wore Face Shields?
This was the first time the "Life expectancy of Americans" has actually gone down 1 year, since WW2.
Somebody please tell me why the USA has 4% of the World's population, and 20% of the Covid Deaths.
"Live Free or Die" isn't supposed to mean "Living Free to Kill others".

Bear

Hmmm, People Die every year due to illnesses??
Really--as in 525,000 dead in one year??
From a Virus that could be held in check if everyone wore Face Shields?
This was the first time the "Life expectancy of Americans" has actually gone down 1 year, since WW2.
Somebody please tell me why the USA has 4% of the World's population, and 20% of the Covid Deaths.
"Live Free or Die" isn't supposed to mean "Living Free to Kill others".

Bear
Because America is over weight

With America leading the way in covid deaths maybe it time for a mandatory weight loss program for over weight Americans #followthescience https://thepostmillennial.com/nearl...es-with-high-levels-of-obesity-says-new-study

This is True, I know I struggle to keep my weight at 225, and would like to get even a little lower.
However if everybody wore a face shield, those poor Fat Boys wouldn't have to vacuum up all the Virus that's floating freely in the air.
And Americans must have gotten fat all at once, since this is the first time our Life Expectancy has gone down since WW2.

Good Point though---I agree!!

Bear

With America leading the way in covid deaths maybe it time for a mandatory weight loss program for over weight Americans #followthescience https://thepostmillennial.com/nearl...es-with-high-levels-of-obesity-says-new-study
Is there anything else you'd like to mandate that infringes on our god given rights.
like Donna Fargo said in here song "U.S. of America"
United States of America
Where I can be whatever I can be
Free to think as I choose
Right or wrong, win or lose
Where my only limitation is me
And if you look at the CDC's own website you will find that
31,365 total deaths by ONLY Coronavirus in the U.S. – Only 6% of deaths are by people who have no other factors, like gunshot wounds, motorcycle accidents, heart or lung conditions. Fact checks lying about what this means. Seems simple – 94% of deaths ALL have other issues plus Coronavirus.
I'm curious as to when they say follow the science, what science? Dr Fauci has been wrong more than the weatherman. Yesterday there was no need for mask. Then it was you need a mask, Then it was you need two mask's. come on man!
National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease U.S. Director Dr. Anthony Fauci: "In all the history of respiratory-borne viruses of any type, asymptomatic transmission has never been the driver of outbreaks. The driver of outbreaks is ALWAYS a symptomatic person."
Now He say's you can transmit even if you are asymptomatic. The list of double speak goes on and on
All I'm saying is I am in charge of me. Don't dictate my weight, the cut of my clothes or the length of my hair.

Is there anything else you'd like to mandate that infringes on our god given rights.
like Donna Fargo said in here song "U.S. of America"
United States of America
Where I can be whatever I can be
Free to think as I choose
Right or wrong, win or lose
Where my only limitation is me
And if you look at the CDC's own website you will find that
31,365 total deaths by ONLY Coronavirus in the U.S. – Only 6% of deaths are by people who have no other factors, like gunshot wounds, motorcycle accidents, heart or lung conditions. Fact checks lying about what this means. Seems simple – 94% of deaths ALL have other issues plus Coronavirus.
I'm curious as to when they say follow the science, what science? Dr Fauci has been wrong more than the weatherman. Yesterday there was no need for mask. Then it was you need a mask, Then it was you need two mask's. come on man!
National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease U.S. Director Dr. Anthony Fauci: "In all the history of respiratory-borne viruses of any type, asymptomatic transmission has never been the driver of outbreaks. The driver of outbreaks is ALWAYS a symptomatic person."
Now He say's you can transmit even if you are asymptomatic. The list of double speak goes on and on
All I'm saying is I am in charge of me. Don't dictate my weight, the cut of my clothes or the length of my hair.

PPG1,

That's quite a claim you make when you say that only 6%, or 31,635 Covid19 deaths in the US have been caused by Covid19 only. I'm pretty familiar with the CDC website you refer to and have never seen such a claim. Maybe you would be kind enough to share the bona fide documentaion that you have to substantiate your claim. I, and others here, would be interested in seeing your documentation. Thanks.

Last edited:
PPG1,

That's quite a claim you make when you say that only 6%, or 31,635 Covid19 deaths in the US have been caused by Covid19 only. I'm pretty familiar with the CDC website you refer to and have never seen such a claim. Maybe you would be kind enough to share the bona fide documentaion that you have to substantiate your claim. I, and others here, would be interested in seeing your documentation. Thanks.
Dls
Everyone one is itching for an argument here. My point was meant to basically say
You do your thing and I'll do mine. If you want to quarantine that's your right. I just want to live free.
Take your time and drill through the numbers

My last post on this thread. As Chuck Berry would say "live like you want to live, ain't nobody goin stop ya"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky