• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Texas Hot link ( Carolina Reaper )

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Had the thread on the brown n serve breakfast sausage experiment a week or so ago . I made some other things at the same time .
I used the Texas Hot link recipe from Marianski . It's a fresh sausage , but I wanted smoked . So I added some NFDM and the right amount of cure one . I also added 1/4 tsp of Carolina reaper powder I got from tropics tropics to the 2 1/2 pound batch . Richie , that powder is awesome when used in the right amounts . Good heat and flavor . Don't take much . I made rings instead of links . Stuffed and held in the fridge overnight .
Next day I hung at room temp ( 65 ) 'til they warmed up some . Then into the MES 30 at 120 for a couple hours to dry , then started some smoke . I used oak as a " base " with cherry and mesquite mixed in . 12 " tube in the mailbox . I stopped doing the 10 degree bump on smoked sausage . Outside was getting tough because to much time in the smoker .
So I ran it at 130 'til I got the color I wanted . Then stepped to 145 for 15 minutes , then to 165 to get it cooked .
Worked great . Good snap from the casing but not tough . Texture was perfect as well as the heat . That's a good recipe . I did grill some fresh , and they're great too .

Couple pics ,
The rings on the tray are the Reaper sausage . The links are AC Leggs bratwurst . The single link is the change over from stuffing both .
20201028_113451.jpg
Close up of the rings ,
20201028_113501.jpg
Out of the smoker , and fast cool down with ice and water .
20201028_163021.jpg
Couple cut shots .
20201028_164422.jpg 20201028_164430.jpg
Really happy with this . Great recipe plus the added heat / flavor from the reaper powder .
Thanks for lookin.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Man those look fantastic! I’m sure I’d love those.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Nice color..., grind and bind too! I like rings too when smoking, they have that old school smokehouse look. Ever done a water bath finish? I started doing that to my hot dogs and I never overshoot my target temp.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I bet those are tasty chop. Nice Job
Thanks Chris . They're great . Just have to watch the heat . Little bit goes a long way with that reaper powder .

Man that sounds and look good. If I retire will get some time to try making sausages.
Thanks ! The retirement really does help with doing this stuff .

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Man those look fantastic! I’m sure I’d love those.
Thanks for the comment . I should have slipped one in the box !
Nice color..., grind and bind too!
Thank you .
Ever done a water bath finish? I started doing that to my hot dogs and I never overshoot my target temp.
I never over shoot sausage temps in the smoker . I do finish in the SV sometimes . Just depends on what it is .
20190801_144129.jpg

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Thanks for the comment . I should have slipped one in the box !

Thank you .

I never over shoot sausage temps in the smoker . I do finish in the SV sometimes . Just depends on what it is .
View attachment 471840
Yes, SV is what I meant by water bath. I finish off cold smoked chicken breasts in the SV too.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
WOW Chop, those look fantastic!
We love heat & I bet they would be right in our wheelhouse!
Al

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Sorry I'm late, but Dang those Looks Great!!!
Nice Job, Rich!!
Like.

Bear

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
WOW Chop, those look fantastic!
We love heat & I bet they would be right in our wheelhouse!
Thanks for the comments Al . I have to say they're perfect . Richie did a great job with that reaper powder . Just don'y use to much .

Sorry I'm late, but Dang those Looks Great!!!
Nice Job, Rich!!
Thanks John . They're great on a bun with some yellow mustard .

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.