Testing Amazin Oval Tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike243

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 25, 2018
E Tn
fired the PBAXL up on 300,put 3/4 of a cup of LJ hickory prllets in it and lit it. 3 minutes later blowed out and put on the smoker, returned 3-5 minutes and it was out. Poured them into a glass measuring cup and nuked for 1 minute.throwed it back in there,5 minutes later still smoking when I flipped the steaks I put in there with it,got smoke coming out places it don’t normally do wife may hate it but i think the key is removing the moisture so they burn with less oxygen, need ti experiment more will ck back in

I don't nuke the pellets either, and have only had my tray go out once on me. Isn't the tube supposed to work in a low oxygen environment?

Chris

Isn't the tube supposed to work in a low oxygen environment?
Yes . I have the 12 " . Had enough smoke on a cook in my mes 30 , so I pulled it out and threw it in a kettle with all the vents closed . Thought it would burn out , but it kept on going til it was spent .

That's what I thought. Made to work in higher elevations and in gassers. So oxygen shouldn't be a problem in a pooper.

Chris

Well it stayed lit and smoking during the short steak cook, i think I tasted a little more smoke flavor ,when i eent back out 1 hr later to pull the power from the smoker tube was still going strong. The probe port has smoke coming out of it while its running so no fresh air that way. Took yhe cap all the way ofg to see if that would relieve sime if the back pressure but it didnt,thinking about a minnow air pump with a copper tube ran thru the probe hole and into the end of the tube, will have to work in that because too much will cause it to burn up in minutes rather than hours,definitely a pressured chamber as smoke also puffs out of grease drain and without being able to control fan speed thats not going to change

I just follow the A-MAZE-N pellet directions

open bag, dump it in, light it up, let it burn for 5 minutes or so, blow it out, top it off with a few pellets where it had burned down, put it in the smoker and forgetaboutit

I use an MES40 and have to open the chip feeder tube about 1/2 twist and half-way out to keep it lit.

I use two adjustable smoking tubes and one 18" older style tube for smoking bacon. I have the smokers on my covered back deck that sometimes has breeze and sometimes it doesn't. My routine is to fill the tubes almost full, light them using a propane torch, walk away while I'm getting my bellies ready, come back, load the smokers, blow out the flames of the tubes if they haven't gone down by themselves and put them on the bottom trays of the MES smokers. To create a draft, I've made a couple of small blower fans using round duct pipes that fit into the chip tray holes with a small computer fan attached on the open end. It's not a strong breeze it creates, but a nice draft to keep the smoke rolling and steady. A full tube will last about 5 hours of good, steady smoke this way

NOthing against your alls advice but a MES dosent cook like a pellet smoker so the same thing might work on 1 but not the other,lowering the moisture content will make fuel more combustible, going to put something on tonite and plan on nuking a full tube and running it and see what happens

So, are you using the tube smoker alone in the PB, or are you also using the PB with it's pellet burner along with the AMAZEN? I use the tube in my PK360 grill to add smoke during a cook and have to put a small fan in front of the open lower vent to get enough air for the tube to stay lit.

I am using the burner and the tube to add more smoke, filled the tube uppoured it onto a plate and nuked for 2 minutes,lit it and after about 5 minutes put it in the smoker. Almost 2 hrs later I am running 180 & the tube is smoking along really good,instead of running a fan try nuking the pellets and see if they keep burning without it,

Well the tube fully burned up and trimmed just a taste off the bark and it's got great smoke,kicked the temp up to 250 looking for a 12:00ish serving time,I have another smoker tube from walmart that has holes drilled in it.I filled it at the same time as other and it went out,no nuke on the pellets or not enuf air holes in it but that's the next test lol

Just for fun because I'm going to foil in a few minutes I relit pellets in the older tube and put back in there and reloaded the Amazing.turned up to 250 and 30 minutes later both are smoking great,temp has dropped from 55 last nite to 39 now.

Butt came out great but a little shy on smoke for me but everybody else was fine,will add another tube with nuked pellets and will have enuf smoke flavor,if they would use some good Tn hickory in those pellets smoke wouldn't be a issue lol.fyi auto correct is horrib!e

Reactions: DD Alberta
I put my dust or Pellet filled AMNPS (Tray) directly in my MES.
I never Nuke them, but I store them in Air Tight, screw-topped plastic Jugs. (See Below)
After lighting it properly, I never have one quit smoking on me.

Bear
DSC01239.JPG

Instead of the microwave... put the unlit tray/tube in the smoker while it's preheating... This dry's and heats (just like putting splits on top of the firebox for stick burners) them for a better experience... Light when ready to put food on...

PS. don't forget to use gloves when grabbing the hot tray/tube for lighting ...

Instead of the microwave... put the unlit tray/tube in the smoker while it's preheating... This dry's and heats (just like putting splits on top of the firebox for stick burners) them for a better experience... Light when ready to put food on...

This is what I do in my mes. Can't do it when cold smoking. I store my pellets like bear does. Never a issue when cold smoking either.

In warm weather my unit comes up to temp too quick to dry any thing out quick.microwave is quicker easier ,not sure how much pellets each tube holds but it's easy enuf to experiment without breaking the bank.going to try on my gas grill and my older tube wouldn't stay lit on it either

Exactly!
I heat Pizza in the Microwave, because the Microwave doesn't dry things out---It keeps them Moist.
Same thing with a Cheesesteak, and many other leftover foods.
For what reason would a Microwave Dry Pellets? Where does the water/Humidity go from the pellets, when moisture doesn't leave the Pizza or the Cheesesteak?

I never had to Dry my Pellets, because I keep them dry in my screw-topped Jugs, but if I did it would be in my Smoker or Toaster oven that actually dries things out.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky