Terra Cotta Pot Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knittingneo

Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Milwaukee, WI, USA
So this is my little Pot smoker.  Started with a 15 inch pot and base from Home Depot and 3 of the little stand legs though I plan to move it to a metal stand soon.  Placed some Bricks under the legs to prevent the plastic table from getting too hot.

I got a Proctor Silex 1000 watt burner from the hardware store for under $10 on clearance

I dismantled the burner so I could get the controls and LED outside the pot and make it fit better to my design.  

The bottom of the base I am using for my Chip pan cover, which I decided on a 9 X 9 heavy walled cake pan.  I am concerned that maybe the slits will let in too much air, time will tell.  I am open to suggestions.

For the Burner, i have it set on some brick parts at the bottom of the pot and the wiring running through the large drainage hole at the bottom.  The controls are mounted underneath the heating element and knob is fastened outside.

I am using the top of the base as a mount for holding the chip pan about 1.5 to 2 inches above the heating element.  I discovered when I set the pan on the burner as Alton Brown had the chips produced more than the desired TBS and got used up too fast.

Onternal Viey with it all put together.  I have used it a little already for some jerky bites  but today is the first test on a real meal.

Outside shot of the control knob and LED mounted lower than the burner.  So far no thermal shut down issues.

So far it is working as well as expected.  I am grateful for any feedback as I look to improve on this and perfect my technique before I invest in a larger smoker.  So far I am a fan of the electric but considering propane for my next build.  I am also considering getting a bigger pot around 21 inches and a 1200 watt burner to make a more spacious smoker.  Perhaps use a second pot as the top instead of the base.

KN, evening and welcome to the forum...... Nice job MacGyver....  Will the chips smoke less if you turn the heat down after they start smoking...   Dave

Very cool - please give updates on how it works for you 

@ Dave I tried that and my temp dropped off too much.  I had initially had the pan on the burner so I elevated it slightly and initially it was uncovered so I covered it.  So far not too much smoke.  I am going to try some chunks next time and see how that goes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky