Teriyaki Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love pork ribs. Saint Louis, Kansas City and Memphis are all great. However, as good as they are, sometimes you need a change. It was time for Teriyaki ribs on my Traeger Timberline.

This recipe calls for Teriyaki sauce. I make my own but any thicker variety will do.

I got a nice meaty rack of back ribs and removed the silverskin off the back of the ribs by lifting a corner and gripping it with a paper towel. Pull the silverskin off. It may take a couple of pulls. Then I gave it a rub down with 25 ml (2 tbsp) of my basic bbq rub mixed with 5 ml (1 tsp) ginger.

Teriyaki Back Ribs 1.jpg

I put the ribs in the smoker which I had preheated to 250 F. I smoked for 1 1/2 hours and then flipped them and cooked for another 1 1/2 hours.

Teriyaki Back Ribs 8.jpg

I took a piece of foil large enough to wrap the rack. I put 15 ml (1 tbsp) soft butter on a strip on half the foil. I sprinkled 15 ml (1 tbsp) of brown sugar over the butter and spooned 15 ml (1 tbsp) of honey over that.

Teriyaki Back Ribs 3.jpg

I put the ribs over the strip and put 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter on that, topped with 15 ml (1 tbsp) each of brown sugar and honey. I formed the foil into a pouch leaving one end open. I added 50 ml (1/4 cup) of teriyaki sauce to the pouch and sealed it.
I put the pouch in the smoker for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Teriyaki Back Ribs 4.jpg

I took the foil from the ribs, saving the liquid. I mixed 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the foil liquid with 125 ml (1/2 cup) teriyaki sauce. I put the ribs back in the smoker, brushing them with the teriyaki mixture. I cooked for 10 minutes, brushed again and cooked for another 10 minutes.

Teriyaki Back Ribs 6.jpg

I let the ribs sit for a few minutes to rest and cut into individual ribs and served.

Teriyaki Back Ribs 7.jpg
Teriyaki Back Ribs 9.jpg

The Verdict
These are delicious. I don’t like them as much as sticky Kansas or Saint Louis ribs but would be happy to serve them to friends and family. They still have a sweet stickiness but there is the added complex salty taste of the teriyaki. The ribs were nice bit through and had a great texture.

Disco

What an awesome post Disco! The pics were awesome as was your description of the step by step. I do love teriyaki and on ribs I’m sure it’s money. You got a great smoke ring on those ribs as well. Big like.

Nice change up...JJ

What an awesome post Disco! The pics were awesome as was your description of the step by step. I do love teriyaki and on ribs I’m sure it’s money. You got a great smoke ring on those ribs as well. Big like.

Thanks for the like and kind words, jcam!

Righteous Ribs !

Thanks, Chopsaw!

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky