• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

temps

larroyo101

Joined Sep 28, 2020
Hello am a new member long time griller but new to smoking I have a chargriller duo with the sidebox. I'm having trouble keeping my temps under 300 without keeping my box door cracked open so I lose smoke . any tips

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Build a smaller fire.
Al

larroyo101

Joined Sep 28, 2020
I'm using 3/4 of a chimney of charcoal and a 4 inch chunk is that too much? my cooks have been good but just would like a little more smoke favor

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
In a small smoker like that, you may only need 6 to 10 burning Briquettes and that 4" chunk of wood to generate 225°F...JJ

Chasdev

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 18, 2020
See if you can run with the firebox door wide open, using small sticks of hardwood.
You are seeking the pale blue smoke (almost clear really) and you won't get there with any restriction on the air intake.
Like above poster noted, smaller fire and monitor it like you would a sick baby.

Bytor

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 16, 2020
In my duo, I will fill the chimney starter about half way with briquets and ignite for about 5 minutes on the side burner. I will turn it off for a bit then place on the burning rack, along with some solid clumps of hardwood. These can be finicky for sure, that's why I bought a pellet smoker..., but I will usually play with the box vent and the chimney vent to control things. Also, get a spray bottle with water. I find a periodic spraying into the box vent helps to settle things down too.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.