Temperature not High enough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattz

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Highland, CA
I have an off the side smoker and Ive smoked chicken twice now and can't seem to get the heat past 200 degrees no matter how hard I try. Ive tried conventional charcoal, mesquite, and even putting the wood chips foil to keep the heat from going down. I'm definitely a first timer so any tips would help. Thanks

Is the wood/charcoal in a basket so it has air flow from all directions ????  Wood 'coal sitting on the bottom of a firebox will not breathe... consequently, no heat..... Just a thought, really need to know more..... and pics and what smoker you have would help....  Manufacutrers are notorious for building stuff that doesn't work up to it's potential.... That is why you are here... DUH...!!!!

Fill in where you are from and what your experience is and your equipment..... There are many folks here willing to help.... Dave

PS... Glad you found us and WELCOME to the SMF.... enjoy the long smokey ride..... 

Yep, what Dave said.  You have to have good circulation around the fire to get the heat up.  Post some photos and I'm sure someone will jump in and give you the tips to make you smoker work better.

And, welcome to SMF.

Curt.

yeahthat.gif

Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you aboard! I would suggest you take the free e-course, it's a great place to start.

Also would you update your profile info to include your location, then swing by the roll call section & introduce yourself so we can all give you a warm welcome. Thanks!

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Ask questions and use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Take the awesome free E-Course!!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/about-jeffs-5-day-ecourse

Make bacon the easy way!!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/109368/more-easy-made-bacon-with-q-view#post_666451

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

Yep, Lots of guys with Offset Smokers and tons of modifications that can be done to make them work great!...Need more info...JJ

I have an off the side smoker and Ive smoked chicken twice now and can't seem to get the heat past 200 degrees no matter how hard I try. Ive tried conventional charcoal, mesquite, and even putting the wood chips foil to keep the heat from going down. I'm definitely a first timer so any tips would help. Thanks
how are you checking the temp ? if your going by the guage on the smoker it will be off by 50+ Degrees. mine will say 150 but the temp is 225+.

lump charcoal works best for me. very little ash build up from lump charcoal.

build a charcoal basket and raise it up as high as you can in the firebox that way you have a lot air flow and room for the ash.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky