Temp probes that can handle higher temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

its a gas

Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
Bay area Cali.
Im a newb, so bare with me. Camp Chef 24 dlx probes can handle up to 350 deg smoke temp while cooking. Some meals (whole turkey) go up to 375-400 for 1.5 hours, so this is beyond what the probes will handle

. Are more robust probes available? Or would I be better off just spiking the meat with a separate digital therm. Id hate to lose all the heat lifting the lid to check.

Best

Reactions: JLeonard
Thermoworks Smoke is my primary digital thermometer for both cooking temp and meat temp.
It uses Thermoworks pro series probes which are good to well over 600°.

Cables are rated for 700°,
Probes are rated for over 600°
Probe accuracy is supposed to be between -58° and 500^+

Just take one thing into consideration, probes are consumables.
They will need to be replaced, they do not last forever.
No matter what their ratings are.

Last edited:
Site sponsors ThermoPro and Inkbird both make probes that handle the temps you require.

Surprising a "deluxe" probe is only 350⁰ I just checked my Inkbird manual and they are good to 482⁰ continuous. They are available with bluetooth or wifi capabilities they work great.

Reactions: its a gas
My $8 made-in-China Ikea thermometers ("Fantast" per Swedish name, price includes the digital wired/remote readout display) is good to 480F/250C. You sure your probe isn't limited to 350C? That would be 660F.

OTOH, the limit on these things is usually the insulation on the wiring coming from the probe. Teflon should be good for repeated excursions to 250C so is presumably what most probes use, even cheap ones, since the cost of the wires is pretty minimal. However if your probes used a cheaper silicone insulation, 180C/350F wouldn't be an unreasonable rating. A lot of us don't exceed 350F in our smokers so that wouldn't necessarily be a show-stopper for some customers. (And I suspect most customers don't bother checking specs anyway.)

Not all things sold for ovens go to "normal" oven temperatures. I learned that the hard way after cracking my wife's favorite pie plate at just 375F.

Surprising a "deluxe" probe is only 350⁰ I just checked my Inkbird manual and they are good to 482⁰ continuous. They are available with bluetooth or wifi capabilities they work great.
I know, I was surprised as well. I even called customer service about it to confirm.

These are the stock probes that came with the camp chef? Seems strange that they wouldn't meet the smokers highest temp rating.
Thermo works and inkbird both have good probes.

Just to ensure we're all on the same page, the poster appears to be looking to replace JUST the two-wire temperature sensor that came with a commercial CampChef unit, not the sensing and display electronics as well. So a replacement probe has to match both the mechanical interface, which is probably 1/8 phone plug, now usually called 3.5mm, but also the electrical interface. These are probably Pt RTDs, but the bridge and power supply are part of the display package (ie separate from the probe) that is read on the pellet unit itself, and this feature may be of value to the poster. If the probe resistance and bias current design isn't exactly what the CampChef original used, it probably won't work right. If it's approximately close, some units allow you to balance the bridge (by calibrating at easy to create standards at 32F and 212F) but I'm not seeing that in the manual.
I overlooked that in my earlier post because I'm an Old Nut who never uses the factory probes or iPhone interfaces and I just use cheap (and plenteous!) probe/display packages like the Ikea. (In fact I keep the factory probe connections plugged with rubber plugs at all times to keep weather and critters out.) But a lot of folks want their meat probes to be compatible with their expensive cooker itself, if only because they don't want their guests to see something looking like a science experiment with wires and gauges galore strung all over. So matching the RTD electronically will be important to them.
Another subtle point is that these cookers have a near-permanently-mounted temp probe in the cook chamber that is used by the PID or other controller to reach and maintain setpoint. It's safe to assume CampChef uses a similar RTD and wire insulation on this probe.
So even if, like me, one is willing to ignore the factory meat probes in favor of a "better" standalone probe/bridge/display package, that factory chamber probe will be subject to the same concerns.
I'll bet this is bigger than CampChef and is one of these unintended consequences of "market development". These pellet cookers started as basic ease-of-use smokers and chamber temperatures in excess of 325F was just not part of their feature list. So I suspect there could be other designs based on using silicone insulation on the probe wires and thereby have ~350F limitations whether it's admitted or not. And now that the feature set includes things like slots in heat diffusers to permit "grilling" temperatures, that limitation becomes important! And analogous units like Weber SmokeFire and Masterbuilt Gravity Feed are now marketed touting even higher cooking temperatures. I gotta' wonder what they're using for RTD wiring insulation!
Caveat emptor would sure seem to apply here. Before plunking down big bucks on a cooker, it's worth checking into what the sensors are, and the details of their wiring...many cookers are approaching mica or fiberglass insulation realms but may be using something less. I think the original poster has done us all a favor.

I understood that Bill. I was curious why the probes included could not suit the design of the smoker. If I read this right. That would be like buying a Z06 Corvette with tires that can only handle speeds to 120 mph. Not what this car can do.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I just did a quick search "camp chef probe upgrade" and while I didn't get much there are a couple of probes that are sold on amazon that claim to be compatible with a higher temp rating. The merchant in the two that I looked at never stated the temp rating.

Think I would make a phone call to CC , they should be able to get you outfitted with proper equipment. Is strange they aren't rated for higher temp though

Reactions: its a gas
I just did a quick search "camp chef probe upgrade" and while I didn't get much there are a couple of probes that are sold on amazon that claim to be compatible with a higher temp rating. The merchant in the two that I looked at never stated the temp rating.
I think I saw those too. They were rated over 400 deg if I recall.

I understood that Bill. I was curious why the probes included could not suit the design of the smoker. If I read this right. That would be like buying a Z06 Corvette with tires that can only handle speeds to 120 mph. Not what this car can do.
You know, it DOES feel that way. Iam going to reach out to them again

I'd ask them if it's a Pt100 or Pt1000 sensor. They all (e.g. ~95% of the DigiKey catalog) seem to be one or the other. (ie is the probe resistance at 32F 100ohms or 1kohm? Pt means the resistor at the sense end is platinum wire.) There are a few with 2.5mm plugs instead of 3.5mm (1/8") but I assume you know that already.

With the exception of this one Amazon listing, it appears no one tells you this electrically critical detail. It's a little depressing to this American to have to shop on Alibaba to get electrically meaningful info.

Although many USA vendors do tell you cable temperature ratings, which seem to always be >>400F. (Except your factory original, sorry)

Not sure I've got this figured out yet, but it appears Traeger started out using PT100. When "they put the band back together" at Pit Boss they chose PT1000, which is a better choice in this application for a couple reasons. Since then, the tendency for most new models is to go with Pt1000 but this business (certainly the Chinese mass producers) started out copying Traeger pretty slavishly and it's hard to make changes until you start with an all-new model. I think yours is a Pt1000. But you'll be the one out $15 if I'm wrong. You can probably return them...it will read wildly crazy at room temp if you guess wrong.

You may also want to ask them if you can calibrate probes via the controller, and if so, how. There are usually dozens of extra features available in these Chinese controllers...you just have to know the magic key sequences to access them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky