Temp probes that can handle higher temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well this stuff is a little subtle. If you search specifically for Traeger replacement probes, they tend to be 3-wire RTDs...ie the plug has 3 separate conductors. 3-wire designs allow you to subtract out the effect of the leads, which is one of the advantages of Pt1000 over Pt100.
So a quick check is to look at the plug: If it's two-conductor (ie just one black insulating ring) it's probably Pt1000. If it's 3-conductor (like a stereo headphone plug), it's probably Pt100.
But again, I guarantee nothing.

Just wanted to update everyone. I emailed camp chef and mentioned why in the world would they make such a limiting temp probe. In the end, there is no updated one available from them. So it looks like I have a sports car with bias ply tires.

I suppose CampChef could argue that if their probe temp ratings exceeded that of their controller's capabilities that people would then complain the controller is lacking and therefore claim this is all sophistry. (A Miata comes with W-rated tires...is that a guarantee the car should be capable of 168 mph speeds?)
Life is kinda' caveat emptor and I'm not sure more government control of such things helps product development/improvement in the long run so that's not necessarily the solution either. At least changing probes costs only 2% of the total cooker's cost so if that's all it takes to get a successful purchase it's maybe par for the course.

Do you have access to an ohmmeter or multimeter? With a few simple measurements, we can help tell you which replacement probes should work for you while being capable of handling >400F temps.

Whether you can then get them calibrated to within 20F of a 212F boiling water standard is another matter...I'm not seeing that in their manual and it doesn't sound like you're getting very technically competent personnel in your calls to CC. Personally I use lots of probes so figure I'm kind of averaging out all those 20F errors.

Im a newb, so bare with me. Camp Chef 24 dlx probes can handle up to 350 deg smoke temp while cooking. Some meals (whole turkey) go up to 375-400 for 1.5 hours, so this is beyond what the probes will handle

. Are more robust probes available? Or would I be better off just spiking the meat with a separate digital therm. Id hate to lose all the heat lifting the lid to check.

Best
I use Meater every single time. They say the probe can go to 600 and change and I can attest to roughly that same temp when I do some thick steaks. Some of my cheaper probes may have held up from a sensor standpoint but they begin falling apart immediately.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky