Taylor Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Had to go to Syracuse, so i went to Wegman's.
20201128_132206.jpg

Nice haul. That is a staple for our good friend Bearcarver Bearcarver He swears by the stuff and showcases some of the things he does with it here in the forum. I don't have access to it but managed to find what I think is close to an authentic recipe so plan to make some. Thanks for reinforcing Bear's sentiments. Makes me even more eager to get a batch going.

Robert

Nice haul. That is a staple for our good friend Bearcarver Bearcarver He swears by the stuff and showcases some of the things he does with it here in the forum. I don't have access to it but managed to find what I think is close to an authentic recipe so plan to make some. Thanks for reinforcing Bear's sentiments. Makes me even more eager to get a batch going.

Robert
I've been eating Taylor's Ham for close to 60 years!

Wouldn't want to share your recipe by any chance, would you?

Wouldn't want to share your recipe by any chance, would you?
I too would be very interested in the recipe if you be so kind. Thanks if can.

No problem...at least I don't think it's gonna be a problem. I just need to find it but cannot right now. Got a pile of beef ribs on the smoker and a couple friends in transit for dinner. Gotta go make cornbread now but will try to find it and post at some point real soon.

Robert

Reactions: bill ace 350
I keep it simple....

Cut it so it doesn't curl in the pan.

Fry it.

I like it on a hard kaiser roll with just butter and black pepper. Awesome sandwich.
Yes that way is good. Sometimes I add a fried egg. It's just one of the best things I've had. Been eating Pork roll since I was 8 or 9.

I'm paying that price plus shipping. Since the inly Pork Roll I can get locally is the thin sliced, and I won't waste my time with that. It cooks too crisp, and lacks flavor compared to the thick sliced.

I'm paying that price plus shipping. Since the inly Pork Roll I can get locally is the thin sliced, and I won't waste my time with that. It cooks too crisp, and lacks flavor compared to the thick sliced.

It is fully cooked. Just heat it.

It is fully cooked. Just heat it.
I've tried that in the past, still weak flavored compared to the thick sliced. I've even put 8 thin slices on one sandwich, and it still wasn't as good. I get 8 packs of the 4 thick slices in each and it lasts 2-3 months, unless my Son comes over and sneaks a pack or 2 lol. So it's well worth it for me.

My Daughter was in the Big City, for us, Dubois PA, and picked up 3 Chubs. I ate the first, daily, until it was gone! My preference....The Official NJ Breakfast Sandwich...Pork Roll, Fried Egg and American Cheese on a Hard Roll, aka Poppy Seeded Kaiser Roll.
Forget about finding the Hard Rolls outside of NY, NJ and Eastern PA. There are Kaiser Rolls in other parts of the country but just not the same. Admittedly, other style Rolls work fine. I can get a decent Cibatta Roll, if I don't feel like baking.
Now SOME People, my JERSEY GIRL WIFE, insists Pork Roll MUST have Ketchup on it to be Authentic! Me, I think Ketchup overpowers the Pork Roll.
But, however you enjoy your's, Pork Roll just makes a Great Sandwich!...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
For those interested Cougar78 put out a great thread on Pork Roll Production. He has had the real deal from NJ and verified, his and Len Poli's (thank Bear) are both fine substitutes ...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
My Daughter was in the Big City, for us, Dubois PA, and picked up 3 Chubs. I ate the first, daily, until it was gone! My preference....The Official NJ Breakfast Sandwich...Pork Roll, Fried Egg and American Cheese on a Hard Roll, aka Poppy Seeded Kaiser Roll.
Forget about finding the Hard Rolls outside of NY, NJ and Eastern PA. There are Kaiser Rolls in other parts of the country but just not the same. Admittedly, other style Rolls work fine. I can get a decent Cibatta Roll, if I don't feel like baking.
Now SOME People, my JERSEY GIRL WIFE, insists Pork Roll MUST have Ketchup on it to be Authentic! Me, I think Ketchup overpowers the Pork Roll.
But, however you enjoy your's, Pork Roll just makes a Great Sandwich!...JJ
You are right about the hard rolls!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky