Taylor Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice haul. That is a staple for our good friend Bearcarver Bearcarver He swears by the stuff and showcases some of the things he does with it here in the forum. I don't have access to it but managed to find what I think is close to an authentic recipe so plan to make some. Thanks for reinforcing Bear's sentiments. Makes me even more eager to get a batch going.

Robert
Hey, I did find Taylor Ham in a supermarket in Austin a few years ago. Can't remember the name of the store right now, but Ill ask my friend who lives there.

Funny thing was the chubs were "Texas size"....

Propably about 3 pounds each, larger diameter also.

My Daughter was in the Big City, for us, Dubois PA, and picked up 3 Chubs. I ate the first, daily, until it was gone! My preference....The Official NJ Breakfast Sandwich...Pork Roll, Fried Egg and American Cheese on a Hard Roll, aka Poppy Seeded Kaiser Roll.
Forget about finding the Hard Rolls outside of NY, NJ and Eastern PA. There are Kaiser Rolls in other parts of the country but just not the same. Admittedly, other style Rolls work fine. I can get a decent Cibatta Roll, if I don't feel like baking.
Now SOME People, my JERSEY GIRL WIFE, insists Pork Roll MUST have Ketchup on it to be Authentic! Me, I think Ketchup overpowers the Pork Roll.
But, however you enjoy your's, Pork Roll just makes a Great Sandwich!...JJ
Have a very, very good Army buddy in Dubois PA....

Visited him about 15 years ago....

Long overdue for a visit!

Reactions: old bones
For those interested Cougar78 put out a great thread on Pork Roll Production. He has had the real deal from NJ and verified, his and Len Poli's (thank Bear) are both fine substitutes ...JJ

If I'm not mistaken the recipe Cougar uses he got from Len Poli, but I looked close at them both, and Poli's is a lot easier to follow. (for me anyway)
And here is Len Poli's:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/NewJerseyPorkRoll.pdf

Bear

I added a pound of bacon to some Red Barn bologna because I needed extra fat .
I was surprised when I fried some up , how close it was to pork roll .
Starter culture and the wine I think it'd be right there . I'll be trying the Poli recipe .

Reactions: MJB05615
Hey, I did find Taylor Ham in a supermarket in Austin a few years ago. Can't remember the name of the store right now, but Ill ask my friend who lives there.

Funny thing was the chubs were "Texas size"....

Propably about 3 pounds each, larger diameter also.

Yup---We got those a couple times, and it's nice that when you slice that big Chub, the slices are good size for in a roll.
The slices from the skinny little 16 ounce chub are way too small for even a shrimpy little regular Burger Bun!!!

Bear

That stuff sure looks good!
Don’t have it here in Florida!
But please tell me it’s not just Spam on steroids!
Al

That stuff sure looks good!
Don’t have it here in Florida!
But please tell me it’s not just Spam on steroids!
Al

Way different than Spam!!
I like Spam & Pork Roll, but Pork Roll is more like Fried Bologna or a Good tasting Hot Dog. IMO

Spam is closer to Bacon. Also IMO

Bear

Reactions: old bones
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky