Tavern Style Pickled Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
12-16 hard boiled or steamed eggs.
1 jar mezetta yellow peppers and the liquid.

20220829_151144.jpg

Pickling brine.
4 cups of water
4 cups distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1 teaspoon turmeric (optional) but gives a nice yellow color yellow color!
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar

BOIL METHOD 1:
Place eggs in a large deep pan, and cover with enough water. people add a splash of vinegar or dash of baking soda to the water and say it helps them peel! Bring to a full boil, then turn off the heat. Put a lid on your pot, and let rest for at least 20 minutes.

STEAM METHOD 2 (MY GO-TO FAVORITE WAY!): Make sure your vegetable steamer basket fits in your large pot. Put a good 1 inch of water in a large pot and bring the cold water to a boil over high heat which takes about 6 minutes. Place the steamer basket in the pot and all 12 eggs on the steamer basket. Cover the pot, and set the timer for 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, move them to a bowl filled halfway with ice water. Note: This method is MUCH faster as you don't have to wait for a large pot of water to boil, and these are much easier to peel, try it out! I poke a small hole in the egg so they dont burst.

Peel all the shells off, and place eggs in a large clean jar. I use a clamp-style 2-quart large jar. Next, pour the 12 oz jar of Hot Yellow Chili Peppers with their pickling mixture into your large glass jar on top.

In a large saucepan, add the white vinegar, water, pickling spice, sugar, turmeric, and sea salt. Heat the pickling solution to just boiling, and then turn off the heat to stop the cooking process.

Carefully pour the hot brine solution over the hard-boiled eggs and chili peppers. Wait for the jar contents of peeled eggs, yellow peppers with their juice, and vinegar brine liquid to cool, with the jar open for about one hour. Then place the closed jar in the refrigerator.

Wait about 7 days, and they are ready to eat!
Always keep these cold in the refrigerator, and eat within one month.

20220829_151131.jpg

20220829_155854.jpg

Never made them, but sure like them!
Thanks for posting your recipe, I need to give it a try.

- Jason

Bet those are good! Hard boiled, smoked, pickled eggs are good also!

Ryan

Reactions: TH-n-PA
look great!

i love pickled eggs and make the quite often.

I like to add some hot sauce and crusher red pepper to my mix.

Reactions: chopsaw
Instant pot:
Cook 5 minutes
Let sit 5 minutes
Release pressure and chill in ice

I am lazy so I just peel my eggs and put them in empty (except for the liquid) pickle, pepper, olive, etc jars.

Actually that’s todays lunch!
Eggs, pickles, cheese, guacamole, & jerky.
These we’re soaked in Dave’s for a couple weeks and some Dave’s on the side.
They are pretty spicy…..

61EA5071-59DD-42A3-87B1-BF40992A447A.jpeg

93604E43-83A5-46A8-82B5-BD9B17EAC9D2.jpeg

Steaming eggs is the only way to fly. I used to stuggle pealing a boiled egg, tried all the wives tales to make it better. Switched to steaming and the shell almost falls off.

Corey

Before steaming? Using what?

Thanks for the recipe.

Rick
A steamer basket in a pot. Put water in the pot about 1"...eggs on basket then put lid on pot. I used to use my ninja PC, steam and PC for 8 mins.

I just converted this over to Word to make it easier to print - Will be trying this as soon as I get the yellow peppers

They look really good! But, just 2 tsp of salt? I use more. Or, are you including the salt from the pepper brine into the equation?

They look really good! But, just 2 tsp of salt? I use more. Or, are you including the salt from the pepper brine into the equation?
Just 2 for me is good. You can add more if you like.

Reactions: Steve H
Finally got them going. Using my 1 gallon fermenter. I will be buying a 2 quart as it seems I will being pickled eggs on a regular basis. I use a egg cooker as they always come out perfectly cooked and easy to peel but can only do 7 at a time. I have tried the IP twice but both times not cooked all the way. Rick can you re-use the brine for another batch?

20230717_141313.jpg 20230717_141329.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky