Target IT for venison roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassadict69

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Benton, La
I have a venison roast I injected with beef broth, seasoned up and wrapped in bacon. It is on the smoker at 275 degrees. It is being smoked by a mix of pecan and apple pellets.

What IT am I shooting for?

I cut into it at 150 and it is much bloodier than I care for...

One has to wonder if it is Beef blood, Pork blood, Pecan, or Apple Juice.
When something isn't done enough for me, my answer is always more fire. ;)

I'd love to get a taste of the combination.:D

I cut into it at 150 and it is much bloodier than I care for...
Wait, what?
Shouldn't be bloody at all at 150°, that's medium well.
You may need to double check where you're probing and/or check your therm's calibration.

You go past medium and it it likely to give your jaw a real workout.

Reactions: crazymoon
Now Chile, that is perzacory what I like about jerky...
Jerky is jerky, it's supposed to be that way.
Never did like the soft, easily chewed, formed, squirt gun crap.

But a nice fresh roast or steak is supposed to be tender.
And venison is notorious for being tough when cooked past medium at the most.

Also, WTH is perzacory?

Per-zac-ory.
It's zacory right. Or eggzacory.
I've really taken to liking Pork Loin Jerky.
I bring a baggie of it, and a 30 ounce cup of Ice Water, and have me a chewin good time driving and dragging turd boxes around, or changing room trailers.
But that is just marinated Piggy.

Gotta run...

Mine sometimes sit in an ice chest of ice water for up to a week, draining the bloody water a couple times a day.

I left til 165, let it sit for about 30 minutes before slicing...it was still pretty juicy and tasted good. Had I pulled it earlier, I know for sure the family wouldn't have ate it.

You guys are making me cringe.
:eek: Soak it in ice water for days, drain away blood and fluids?

Y'all might as well eat cheap beef after taking all the real venison flavor out of it.
Wouldn't do that to good beef, would ya?
To each their own, I guess.

Please don't tell me that you are wet brining too after doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buf and Medina Joe
I'm with chile, I have been cooking to 145 and its 152 after a 5 minute rest. I am considering switching to 140 IT. The small ends can get a bit tough on me before. Deer gets tough quick and you better like medium cooked meat or like it tough. Well cooked deer not in water is like chewing on a shoe.

I did my venison roasts to like 133-140F IT (two roasts). You can read the details here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-venison-roast-like-prime-rib-with-qview.270688/

Here's some pics of the goodness!

When I process my deer they are on in a walk in cooler and on ice for a minimum of 3 days. That drains them pretty well. If I shoot one Friday morning the meat is off the bone and in a meat lug in the processing fridge by Monday noon time. Deer shot before that Friday are dressed, skinned, and hanging in a walk in cooler or broke down into quarters and on ice within 2-3 hours of hitting the ground. They have a longer cooler stay then the deer I shoot at the end of my hunting trip :)

Reactions: archeryrob
I wish I had a cooler and could hang my deer for a week before processing!

Its nice to have them available. Once done hunting it's into giant coolers with tons of ice. No walk in coolers at home lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky