Taking Salumi Drying to the Next Level....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So this is the sample piece. It was on the top rack and likely achieved higher temp. for longer time than the salamis hanging lower in the drying chamber...@29hours fermentation:

Good color, absolutely awesome aroma, good bind.
IMG_20220306_194124.jpg

pH 5.06.. I'll monitor it, but should have consumed all the sugars by this point.
IMG_20220306_194130.jpg

Reactions: 02ebz06
Just checked the pH again and it is holding at pH5.03-5.07 so fermentation is complete. 3 more days of intensive drying then transfer to maturing chamber. I used 1 gram of dextrose and 2 gram of Turbinado sugar. Initial pH was 5.83-5.89 so Toldra's statement that 1 gram will drop the pH 0.3 points is pretty damn close to dead on when you take into account the Dextrose equivalent value of sucrose which is 0.89; meaning sucrose will produce 0.89% lactic acid of pure dextrose. The SM-194 has an amazing aroma! More so than any other culture I have used so far, but it is faster than tspx. I think 2.25grams sugars would be perfect; 0.75g./kg. dextrose and 1.5g./kg. sucrose...that would be a combined DE of about 2.04g....final pH would be around 5.25ish....

The D. Hansenii in the SM-194 should neutralize some of the acid along with the mold 600 for a milder salami once done drying. Interested to see what the final pH will be once dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 02ebz06
I came across this thread searching for something else, but I too have been reading over at TOA and am heading out today to grab another used wine fridge for this.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky