T-Bones Vortex cooked on the Kettle.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well since it's still to hot to cook inside I decided use the Kettle/Vortex combo on a couple of T-bones. These were definitely on the thin side so I was a little worred about over-cooking and burning them.

Keeping it simple. Just a coating of ground pepper and salt.

DSC00751.JPG

Fire up the Kettle - and toss afew dogs on for skidmark.

DSC00752.JPG

Honest all I did was go back into the house for a quick trip to the little boys room and retrieve the steaks. The dogs were charred. Oh well skid doesn't care.
DSC00753.JPG

Being a little cautious here as I don't want to burn them or wind up with something well done.

DSC00756.JPG

All finished with a side of potato and egg salad and some broccoli.
DSC00758.JPG

Oh, I almost forgot the verdict: A nice rare to medium rare.
DSC00760.JPG

Thanks for taking a peak. Since the wife and I are leaving for our trip to Georgia on Tuesday I don't want to leave a lot of stuff in the fridge. So most of our meals recently have been of the single serving nature. These were good, a little on the thin side but still delicious. As usual any comments, critics or criticisms are more then welcome.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC00757.JPG
    DSC00757.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00759.JPG
    DSC00759.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 4
Great meal in my opinion (looks and food stuff)....like the simple approach to your meat...sometimes I think it is the best way and you nailed it in the results by the look of it. Great going Chris....point.

The steaks look awesome. How about a plated shot of skidmark’s dinner? I’m sure no complaints about the char in the dogs. That is how some of my family requests them!

Chris you are a good man making sure Skidmark is taken care of. The steaks looked great and you even got some greens in there. I would have to say that was a success.

George

Looks good to me.

It tasted good to us also Kruizer, thanks for the read.

Great meal in my opinion (looks and food stuff)....like the simple approach to your meat...sometimes I think it is the best way and you nailed it in the results by the look of it. Great going Chris....point.

Thanks for the compliment and point Kit, I started getting carried away with spices. I'm now reverting back to the basics.

Cornman thanks for the like. appreciate it.

Chris

Reactions: kit s
Great looking steak & cooked just the way we like them too!
Nice work Chris!
Al

Thanks Al for the like and kind words. I was a little worried since they were thin, but all worked out.

The steaks look awesome. How about a plated shot of skidmark’s dinner? I’m sure no complaints about the char in the dogs. That is how some of my family requests them!

Co4ch, thanks for the kind words. I tried to take a shot of skidmark eating, but it was gone before I could snap a pic.
My son and I like a little char on our dogs. However since he's now a faux vegan - it's only me.
Chris

Nice cook Chris, steaks look perfect! That vortex can really sear up a steak quick!

Thanks for the like and compliment Water, Yeah it's almost to quick.

Steaks look good! Great job!
Be safe on your trip!

Thank Justin, It's about a 26 hr. car ride which I'm not really looking forward to, but the wife refuses to fly. Also thanks for the like and kind words. Keep the smoke flowing while I'm gone.

Chris you are a good man making sure Skidmark is taken care of. The steaks looked great and you even got some greens in there. I would have to say that was a success.

George

Skid is one spoiled pup. He always gets a little something. We don't give him any cooked bones, but he managed to get a couple of dogs and a few pieces of steak. He was in heaven. Thanks for the like and compliment - appreciate them.

Chris

I have never had a dog are cooked bones bad for them?

George

According to our Vet and my daughter whose an emergency room Vet tech.. Cooked bones can splinter and cause a dog to choke and/or damage their gums/teeth. Raw bones are better, but not much. With raw bones you risk the nasty bacteria being spread around the inside of your house. So when skid gets a raw bone it's outside only. I know plenty of folks that give their dogs steak bones with no ill effects. I'm just not willing to take that chance with my best buddy. I've already had to put one down for getting into radiator fluid, I don't want to take any more unnecessary chances.

Chris

Dang I’m sort to hear about that. What a horrible thing to have happen. Sounds like you have made a good decision to keep the bones away. Skidmark certainly looks like a happy boy.

George

According to our Vet and my daughter whose an emergency room Vet tech.. Cooked bones can splinter and cause a dog to choke and/or damage their gums/teeth. Raw bones are better, but not much. With raw bones you risk the nasty bacteria being spread around the inside of your house. So when skid gets a raw bone it's outside only. I know plenty of folks that give their dogs steak bones with no ill effects. I'm just not willing to take that chance with my best buddy. I've already had to put one down for getting into radiator fluid, I don't want to take any more unnecessary chances.

Chris
I give my little guy the bigger rib bones, minus the knuckle, but only for an hour or so then discard in garbage. When I had a bigger pal not even that long would I let him gnaw on it. 15 to 1/2 hour at most before it to went into garbage.
For him I usually got him a thigh bone. This was outside as non in house. The main thing when they started worrying it to the point were it started to get rough, I yanked it. I guess it is a calculated risk but I do think minimal, when you watch them enjoy it.
No chicken or pork for any of them.
I avoid raw hide for all, as well as pig ears etc as they don't digest and can plug them up (stomach and intestines).
kit

Love me a good t-bone, hard to get my way these days. I can't eat them anymore so pics are as good it gets for me these day's

Thanks MeatSkull, sorry to hear you can't really enjoy them anymore.

Great vortex use. It can get hot and ruin food quick.

Well done friend

I agree Adam. It almost get's to hot for certain things. It's definitely not a walk away cook. Thanks for the point and nice comment - appreciate them.

Chris

I give my little guy the bigger rib bones, minus the knuckle, but only for an hour or so then discard in garbage. When I had a bigger pal not even that long would I let him gnaw on it. 15 to 1/2 hour at most before it to went into garbage.
For him I usually got him a thigh bone. This was outside as non in house. The main thing when they started worrying it to the point were it started to get rough, I yanked it. I guess it is a calculated risk but I do think minimal, when you watch them enjoy it.
No chicken or pork for any of them.
I avoid raw hide for all, as well as pig ears etc as they don't digest and can plug them up (stomach and intestines).
kit

I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion, and I used to give my pups marrow bones all the time. Splintering doesn't occur all that frequently but my daughter does see it a few times a year and it's painful for the dogs. I don't give him raw hide or pig ears either for the same reasons you stated. Also they get nasty slimy if they didn't finish them right away. We also stopped feeding him beneful dog food because it was giving skid seizures.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky