Switching from Water to Sand

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Glad it worked out. I use sand in the colder months here in Colorado to keep up the temps. I use water in the warmer months.

Flash was the one who taught me that one, and I appreciate it as it saved me a ton of grief when there is snow on the ground and it's below freezing.

A little water in the sand seems to help the humidity in the smoker as well.

I respectfully disagree. I think there is a HUGE advantage in using a sand pan in an offset if only for thermal mass as Tip describes. It sure helps even out the temps on the chimney side in my SnP. But I think I may need a water pan closer to the firebox to help with humidity as well.

Dave

I just looked at the stats on weather.com, it almost 10:00pm here in portsmouth, va and the temp is 70 degrees and humidity is 72%. When I use a water pan the boil-off saturates the air to 100% humidity. I really believe I was doing just as much steaming of my food as I was smoking it. My bark was soggy, my rub turned to paste it was bad. Today as I unwrapped my finished butts i still had a cup of the most wonderful juice in the bottom of the foil. I think i will try this a couple more times to see if i can reproduce the results.

Huh, I'm in Lynchburg, not too far from you. My butt was swimming in about 1.5" of juice when I unwrapped it....most juice I have ever had to date.

I have noticed on ribs more than anything that sometimes when I begin to foil, the rub hasn't setup and can smear if I grab the racks with tongs. Maybe something to think about....

i think it is all part of the learning curve and the adventure. i think there is substance to both sides of this coin. I just finished looking at the downloadable cooking log they have a weather block on there maybe i should start using it.
eek.gif

Use sand or the piedmont water pan method. IMHO, you're wasting your time and energy with water. I don't believe the moisture from the steam you're creating will significantly impact the moisture of your meats.

That said, it's your smoker. Use it how you want. I've been water-free for over a year and it's so much less messy and aggravating.

Actually here is a picture of the sand pan placement.

The problem I think is that since it is a tall roasting pan, the surface of the hot sand is only about 2-1/2 inches from the meat. I think that is why the meat is cooking dryer.

Am thinking of trying this . . .

and using 2 smaller pans of sand for thermal mass and a water pan against the firebox end for moisture.

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky