Fireclay sand required for a diy tandoor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dexter7205

Original poster
Apr 18, 2022
Hello Members,

This is my first post here and my knowledge is low about the topic. Please go easy :-)

Background

I built a diy tandoor a few years ago(using popular instructions on youtube) and used it very often until the pot broke and vermiculite started dripping into the charcoal area. I disassembled it and next attempt with terracotta pot did not last long either.

I found some bentonite kitty litter clumping clay and built another one by hand(mix sand + bale) but that did not take any load. I learned later that bentonite is not a good clay for this since it retains too much water.

Fourth attempt

Trying to follow instructions on https://imperpro.ru/en/tandyr-svoimi-rukami-55-foto-sovety-po-stroitelstvu-i-ekspluatacii-delaem/

I got kaolin clay a couple 50# bags. But i do not understand what the writer means in the article by fireclay sand. The clay stores i contacted sell fireclay and sand separate. Do they mean Grog?

Quoting from the above article

"To get started, prepare the necessary materials:

• kaolin (aka chamotte clay);
  • fireclay sand;
  • sheep's wool - you can take camel, if, of course, you can find it;
  • an ordinary wooden barrel;oil - vegetable is suitable."
Questions:

• Which fireclay or sand mixture can I use?
  • If sand is needed, do i use all purpose sand or play sand?
  • Sheep's wool is difficult to find here, camel hair is even more difficult. Is bale hay/straw a good substitute?
Thank you for reading my post this far. Appreciate your time/input on this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky