Switchback Brats and Tator Tots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, it was gorgeous day here in the Northeast. Sunny skies and really no wind to speak of. After working 4 12hr. shifts in a row I decided to take a vacation day and enjoy myself. I was watching one of those cooking shows in the AM and was inspired by one of the segments. The chef on the show deep fried this dish, but I wanted to recreate it on the kettle. So enough of the suspense here it is.

First things first: Gotta get the Beer-Pole ready:

With the sun to my back a nice silhouette:
DSC03214.JPG

...and a little Genny Cream for the afternoon delight:
DSC03211.JPG

The veggies sliced and diced: Half an onion and one each red and orange pepper.
DSC03206.JPG

into the pan for some wilting:
DSC03208.JPG

Got the 26" kettle with the Vortex good-n-hot: 5 Switchback brats and some special Tator tots wrapped in bacon.
DSC03210.JPG

Brats were finished so I tossed on the wifes steak. She doesn't care for brats.
DSC03215.JPG

Tots are done:
DSC03219.JPG

Time to get my feed bag going: burger roll, split brat and grey Poupon.
DSC03222.JPG

add a slice of Cabot sharp cheddar and some veggies and we have an Italian Sausage sammie.
DSC03224.JPG

Oh boy was that sammie good, but let me tell ya the bacon wrapped Tator tot's stole the show. I used thick cut bacon, and got three tots per slice. They were great naked, but next time I may try putting a glaze of sauce on them. You know the next level stuff.

Thanks for taking a look, and thanks for that show I watched this morning.

Chris

Last edited:
Great looking meal! I’m thinking I need one of those 26 inch kettles, lots of space and kettle quality cook! I’m going to try those tots, very cool! Point for the silhouette shot too. Very Orson Welles! Rosebud……

Reactions: gmc2003
Great looking meal! I’m thinking I need one of those 26 inch kettles, lots of space and kettle quality cook! I’m going to try those tots, very cool! Point for the silhouette shot too. Very Orson Welles! Rosebud……
Thank you Jed, the 26" kettle is a game changer as far as room. I haven't used my 22" WSM in over a year. The tots exceeded my original expectations. They are GOOD!!!

Nice work . I'll be doing the tots .
Appreciate it Rich, I think this is one side that you'll really like.

Chris

Looks great Chris. I love grilled brats and I love Cabot white cheddar too. Really love their Hunters or Seriously Sharp. I just added a Weber Master Touch kettle to my collection. Neighbor had a year old one and sold it to me with cover for $100 as he got a pellet grill.

Reactions: chopsaw and gmc2003
Chris everything looks outstanding except that ugly can cooler holding that brewski :emoji_laughing:

Looks great Chris. I love grilled brats and I love Cabot white cheddar too. Really love their Hunters or Seriously Sharp. I just added a Weber Master Touch kettle to my collection. Neighbor had a year old one and sold it to me with cover for $100 as he got a pellet grill.
That's a great deal on the Master Touch Jeff. You'll enjoy cooking on it. Cabot is our favorite cheese, and it's nice that it's local. Appreciate the kindly words also.

I had to Google Switchback Brat. It’s a beer. Got it.

You know, that beer pole could serve as a sundial or a seasonal marker like Stonehenge.
Thanks Sven, Switchback is a local brewery around here, and McKenzie's is a local meat shop(now owned by Kayem), and they put the two together for the brat. It's really good. LOL I don't know if I want the pole taking on a second or third job. It's first job is too important.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Sven Svensson
Heck yeah Chris! That’s the stuff we were all made of. Excellent. The beer on that pole though…….. hubba.
Appreciate it Edge, I've been enjoying Italian sausage sammies since I was a wee one, but the bacon wrapped tots are fantastic.
Chris everything looks outstanding except that ugly can cooler holding that brewski :emoji_laughing:
What Jerry you don't like the color blue? LOL. Thanks I appreciate the kind words.

Chris

Looks great Chris! Question about the tots. Did you thaw them before you wrap? I would think the tots would fall apart if trying to push a toothpick through while frozen.

Looks great Chris! Question about the tots. Did you thaw them before you wrap? I would think the tots would fall apart if trying to push a toothpick through while frozen.
I didn't thaw the tots out before wrapping Steve. I did find it kind of hard to get the toothpick thru the frozen tot(broke a few picks trying), but my thinking was I wanted them frozen going onto the grill so they stood a better chance of holding their shape during the cook.

Chris

Reactions: Steve H
I didn't thaw the tots out before wrapping Steve. I did find it kind of hard to get the toothpick thru the frozen tot(broke a few picks trying), but my thinking was I wanted them frozen going onto the grill so they stood a better chance of holding their shape during the cook.

Chris
That makes sense. I'll be trying these ASAP. They look very good. Not trying to steer the crowd away from those brats though. They look tasty too.

What can I say Chris? That looks simply fantastic. Sure, it's fun to do a large, involved meal once in a while but the basic staples like this are what it's all about. That is my kind of meal right there buddy.

Robert

Looks darn good Chris. Great color on those Brats.
Appreciate it Brian.

That makes sense. I'll be trying these ASAP. They look very good. Not trying to steer the crowd away from those brats though. They look tasty too.
Don't worry about the brats Steve. The only reason I posted this thread was to show the tots. I didn't remember seeing a thread about tots wrapped in bacon. I saw the show in the morning and the cook deep-fried his tots and they looked real good. So I thought I mimic it on the kettle.

Chris

What can I say Chris? That looks simply fantastic. Sure, it's fun to do a large, involved meal once in a while but the basic staples like this are what it's all about. That is my kind of meal right there buddy.

Robert

Appreciate it Robert. Most of our meals are fairly simple. On holidays and gatherings is when we like to get a little more fancy.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky