Sweet Sticks Again

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, Aug 15, 2016.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Decided to go with 5lbs of Lancaster County, PA sweet sticks again.

This time stuffed into 19mm smoked collagen. Tied the ends (you dont have to, just i like it) Racked and in TSM Smoker. 130* For an hour then pump up from there, smoke start at 150* with apple.

1st rack. I have 2 going.

2. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking good so far!

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yes Sir!

What do you do with all this sausage?

I love making stuff too, but my freezers are full & I give away a lot of stuff.

But your making sausage everyday!

And BTW it always looks excellent!!!

Al

4. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Some i took to my friend up in Richmond KY last month. Im refreshing my supply for Sept BBQ On The River, Paducah, KY with 30 of my friends from all over. My friend who grew up in Paducah knows the owner of a restaurant right on the corner of the all BBQ area, he reserves the whole front sidewalk for us to just sit, watch and enjoy the happenings. This is our 5th year going.

My freezer will be pretty lean after this but all the snow birds will be coming back Sept thru Nov so i will need to stock up again.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  5. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

man these look good... where would one find the seasoning/recipe to make these ??

6. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

N, They are looking good !

7. nepas

Its a pretty basic stick recipe, just add some extra black pepper and honey. AC LEGG #116 works good.

8. nepas

These are done cooling. Paper bag and fidge for couple days.

crazymoon and driedstick like this.
  9. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

N, You can send some my way ,they look delicious ! [​IMG]

10. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Them look very good,,,, How long do you do the fridge?? i usually only go 24hrs or so with paper bag. Just never tried longer than that [​IMG]  ?? 

Oh and please quit showing pics of your smoker you are going to get me in trouble!!!! $$$$$ LOL 

DS

11. nepas

I go a couple days, longer they will start to dry..

You mean this one [​IMG]

12. driedstick

Ya that would be the one!!!! your one mean person [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]  

13. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks dang good to me, Rick....

I just made a batch of the #116 again, but left out the honey this time (daughter said they were too sweet - tasted fine to me and the gang at work).  They are about done with their 24 hour stint in a paper bag and some will be vacuum packed and the rest will be moving into the fridge tonight and will follow me to the office in the morning.  For some reason, I'm real popular there (after learning tricks from the master - Rick!!!!)

Hey, Driedstick....

That's why I made the e-WSM.  Wife was not looking favorable on another smoker/grill on the deck.  So I figured out a mod where I can use the WSM "as is" or as an electric for snack sticks & sausage.   Think outside the box and pretty much any smoker can be modded to an e-smoker with PID controller. Best part is you can probably figure out a way to make it a temporary mod so it still works as a conventional smoker!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  14. nepas

Thanks but in no way the master. I still learn stuff.

Hey i'm picking up a like new VacMaster VP112s used only a couple times for $325 with 200 bags.

I need to sell my Dakotah stuffers to make room for it. I have a like new Auber PID but im on the fence about selling it.

15. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

is there a rule of thumb as to how many sticks you put in a paper bag (lunch size) ??

16. nepas

I use the larger lunch size bags you get at wally, if they stick out from the end i put another bag over it opposite way.

Not many stores have the larger grocery brown bags anymore.

I have my 2 Dakotah stuffers in the classified section.

17. nepas

Heading to Paducah. Told Cathey last year i would make some for her.

Ready to cut the ends down some.

Close to the same length.

Ready to go.

18. driedstick

Looks awesome,, Nice job 

DS

19. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You make the best sausage!

Disco

20. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice sticks Nepas, looking mighty tasty, mighty tasty indeed.