SV some sirloin steaks but have a problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
I want to sous vide some sirloin steaks but have a problem. I like mine medium rare and wife likes hers well done. New to sous vide, so would I just sear hers longer or? Thanks for any advice.

I want to sous vide some sirloin steaks but have a problem. I like mine medium rare and wife likes hers well done. New to sous vide, so would I just sear hers longer or? Thanks for any advice.
Yes you’ll want to sear hers longer. You should run the Sous vide at 120-125 for That process then sear off the steaks to final temp. Make sure to dry the meat off once out of the SV before searing.
96CBFA1F-AFED-4437-87D0-845D451C1780.jpeg

Same situation in my house and we love sous vide steak. I just start with my wife's steak at her desired temperature and give it an hour or so head start. Then I dial down the temp to 133 and throw my steak in with hers for an hour and fifteen. Yes, hers is in there for a while but that's no problem. I sear them quickly together and we both get what we want.

Same situation in my house and we love sous vide steak. I just start with my wife's steak at her desired temperature and give it an hour or so head start. Then I dial down the temp to 133 and throw my steak in with hers for an hour and fifteen. Yes, hers is in there for a while but that's no problem. I sear them quickly together and we both get what we want.
Thanks everyone for your replies. I like your idea billy mainly because I don't want to burn the hell out of it and dry it out, not sure if that would happen. Would not be a problem to do the steaks the way you stated. I was planning to do mine medium rare 130 for 4 hours before searing. I saw a guys post that he says he goes up to 10 hours on sirloin steaks as they come out really tender, that may be a little overkill not sure, any thoughts on this?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I like your idea billy mainly because I don't want to burn the hell out of it and dry it out, not sure if that would happen. Would not be a problem to do the steaks the way you stated. I was planning to do mine medium rare 130 for 4 hours before searing. I saw a guys post that he says he goes up to 10 hours on sirloin steaks as they come out really tender, that may be a little overkill not sure, any thoughts on this?
I don't do too much sirloin, maybe that's why my times are shorter, but I reckon you'd be fine with a few hours at each temp. I just find that the texture gets a little weird if it's in the tub too long.

thats how I make it work. mine barely touches the pan, wifes cooks to 140 ish to keep her happy.

I usually just cook them all rare & the folks that like med or done. I either nuke them for 20-45 seconds or if you want you can put them on the grill. I also use a weed burner to put a crust on them.
Al

If you look around there are 2 camps on SV for steaks. Some say SV steaks best thing ever and others that SV makes no real difference. I tend to think the latter and have never tried. What say you?

I usually just cook them all rare & the folks that like med or done. I either nuke them for 20-45 seconds or if you want you can put them on the grill. I also use a weed burner to put a crust on them.
Al

^^^What Al Said!!^^^

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky