SV Ribeye time/temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's OK too, if I've been getting it right. You can go less than 130°, as long as it's for a short time, like 2 hours.
YEP. Plenty of info out there confirming BUT risky though. Easy to screw up. IE clock is running even though the steak out of the bath. There is some discussion of about pre searing and/or freezer to SV killing off the bugs but not an exact science. I LOVE SV but think SVing steak is a fools errand. Adding a sear burner to my grill was one of the best things I ever did. Night and day from stock grill burner. 3m TOTAL.

20220424_183010_resized_2.jpg

YEP. Plenty of info out there confirming BUT risky though. Easy to screw up. IE clock is running even though the steak out of the bath. There is some discussion of about pre searing and/or freezer to SV killing off the bugs but not an exact science. I LOVE SV but think SVing steak is a fools errand. Adding a sear burner to my grill was one of the best things I ever did. Night and day from stock grill burner. 3m TOTAL.

View attachment 641889

Yup, There are a few side rules, like doing it less than 2 or 3 hours, or this & that, but the easiest way to stay safe is to just don't go below 131° when using SV on Red Meat. There is nothing better about 129° than there is at 131° anyway!!!

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
We like our steaks cut 1½ “ thick, and cooked to the low end of medium rare. When cooking them sous vide, I do so at 117F - 120F for 2 hours, then sear at around 550F for 30 seconds per side. They come out perfect and, as far as I’m concerned, there are no health or food safety issues at all.

Reactions: bill ace 350
We like our steaks cut 1½ “ thick, and cooked to the low end of medium rare. When cooking them sous vide, I do so at 117F - 120F for 2 hours, then sear at around 550F for 30 seconds per side. They come out perfect and, as far as I’m concerned, there are no health or food safety issues at all.
I agree. As long as those who do that play by all the safety parts, like you are doing. Your 2 hours makes it OK to be below 130°. I never go to that, because it gets too involved, so all I'll do is add the Link to the explanation:

Is Sous Vide Safe? Key Safety Guidelines

Thanks Dis,
Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky