SV Ribeye time/temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Going to have a busy day tomorrow starting with mimosa by the pool at 10 am, the dinner plan is Ribeyes. I am thinking of SV from frozen to 110 deg or so and reverse searing on the gasser or blackstone to finish at desired temp. I know that they say lower than 135 could potentially not be safe. Would I be OK to go to 110 for a 3 hour bath or should I do a 6 hour bath to get a pasteurizing effect before the sear?

Reactions: JLeonard
I know what they say Clif, tho I've never paid it any mind and never had a problem. I usually sous vide to a IT of 120º and then sear in a 650º CI skillet for about 45 seconds a side. The old Alton Brown method was to bake in a 200º oven until reaching a 120º, and then searing the same way in the CI skillet. I tried it a few times before sous vide came, worked perfect every time, about as close to SV as can ne. RAY

I do 128F for 3 - 6 hours for fresh and 4 - 7 hours for frozen. Then sear with a grill gun.

This gets me a nice medium rare. if you want rare then 120f would prob do the trick or lower then a longer sear.

Reactions: clifish
I do 3 to 3.5 hrs for frozen ribeyes at 130 degrees. Then sear them in the pizza oven for about 60 to 90 seconds. Let them rest for about 10 minutes and beautiful medium rare goodness

130 is the sweet spot for steak in SV. Are you driving for a rare SV steak? If so this is an interesting subject.

130 is the sweet spot for steak in SV. Are you driving for a rare SV steak? If so this is an interesting subject.
No rare is not the end game, just looking for safe and options of various options,

No rare is not the end game, just looking for safe and options of various options,
I run all my red meat at 131* then sear. It’s a light medium rare but very delicious. Although I think you could run lower like 125* but we like it fine at 131* Which is in line with common food safety, but I believe in the mid 120’s should be fine on a steak.

I used to do 131f, but my wife complained it was over cooked...... God I love this woman! :P

Well morning mimosas by the pool went on to a few IPA's, bbq then on to Moscow mules in the afternoon. Just put them in the SV at 3.30 @125.

Reactions: gmc2003
Well morning mimosas by the pool went on to a few IPA's, bbq then on to Moscow mules in the afternoon. Just put them in the SV at 3.30 @125.
Good luck Cliff. Sorry I can't offer any help with the water bath.

Chris

The Number is "130°" !! (minimum)

Cooking a piece of meat below 130°F (54.4°C) is the equivalent to letting it sit on your counter. It's fine for a few hours but it's not something you'll want to do all day. A generally accepted safe overall time in the danger zone, from leaving the fridge through cooking and eating is generally considered 3 to 4 hours.

Any piece of food that needs cooked longer than a few hours should be cooked at a minimum temperature of 130°F (54.4°C). If there is only one thing to remember about cooking in general, and sous vide cooking specifically, it's to not have your food between 40°F (4.4°C) and 130°F (54.4°C) for more than a few hours.

Source:

Bear

I go 129 degrees for 2 hours on a thawed 1 1/2 inch thick ribeye

That's OK too, if I've been getting it right. You can go less than 130°, as long as it's for a short time, like 2 hours.

However I find it hard to believe that anyone can tell the difference between an IT of 131° & an IT of 129°.
The Bacteria knows the difference.

Bear

Reactions: zwiller and mike243
That's OK too, if I've been getting it right. You can go less than 130°, as long as it's for a short time, like 2 hours.

However I find it hard to believe that anyone can tell the difference between an IT of 131° & an IT of 129°.
The Bacteria knows the difference.

Bear
I don't think I could tell either.
Just went with a temp and time I found on line for sous vide ribeye. I have had excellent results.

it worked out fine, 110 would have been better as the really, really cheap gasser I have at this house just showers the meat in flames. Everyone still loved it and complimented the meal over and over.

About everything I have read states 130, wife hates bloody meat , i can do a strip steak show here a cut and temp reading of 165 and 10 minutes later when she cuts it its back pink lol sez she don't like boiled meat 😢 more for me 🤣

About everything I have read states 130, wife hates bloody meat , i can do a strip steak show here a cut and temp reading of 165 and 10 minutes later when she cuts it its back pink lol sez she don't like boiled meat 😢 more for me 🤣
I understand that.
My only point is:
#1. Pros like "Douglas Baldwin" say SV @ 131° is safe, but 130° or less may not be.
#2. I can't & I don't think anybody else can tell a difference in taste or texture between something SV'd @ 130° and something SV'd @ 131°.
#3 Therefore why would anyone SV Meat below 131°.

Bear

Reactions: BBQ Bird
Depending on thickness of the steak: frozen 2" plus steak at 130/131 for 5 hours. Seared either with a torch or on chimney. I incline more CI pan - quickly sear it with some butter an rosemary.... Gives a very nice crust to my steaks.... Very important not to over cook a steak on CI pan....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky